Kershaw two-hits Marlins, lifts Dodgers to series winMay 29, 2011 - 11:34 PM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Clayton Kershaw threw the second shutout of his career while Rafael Furcal hit a two-run home run and drove in three as the Los Angeles Dodgers clubbed the Florida Marlins, 8-0, in the finale of a three-game set.
Kershaw (6-3) gave up just two hits and a walk with 10 strikeouts to finish May with a 4-0 record over six starts, giving up just eight runs over 40 2/3 innings. He also went 2-for-4 at the plate with an RBI and two runs scored.
"It was a good day out there as getting the runs early was huge," said Kershaw. "I threw strikes and things worked. It was a fun game for the team all around."
Andre Ethier was 3-for-3 with two walks and a run scored while Casey Blake drove in a pair for the Dodgers, who won two of three in the series.
Ricky Nolasco (4-1) suffered his first loss in 11 starts this season as he was touched for all eight runs on 15 hits over five innings for the Marlins, who took three games from the Giants prior to this series.
"I tried to get Ricky five or six innings today," said Florida manager Edwin Rodriguez. "It was just one of those days where nothing worked for him."
The Dodgers scored all the runs they needed in the third inning. After Kershaw led off with a single, Furcal hit his first home run of the season. Jay Gibbons and Dioner Navarro added RBI singles later in the inning for a 4-0 lead.
Los Angeles manager Don Mattingly and center fielder Matt Kemp were thrown out of the game for arguing after Kemp hit into a double play with the bases loaded to end the fourth.
The fifth inning saw Los Angeles tack on four more runs. With the bases loaded, Kershaw hit into a force out at second, but beat the throw to first as Gibbons scored. Furcal then singled home a run and Blake followed with a two- run single for an 8-0 lead.
Florida's second hit of the game was a leadoff double from Logan Morrison in the seventh. Gaby Sanchez then reached base on Furcal's fielding error, but Mike Stanton hit a grounder to third and Morrison was forced out at third. John Buck then hit into a 5-4-3 double play to end the inning.
Kershaw retired the final six batters to complete the game and the shutout.
Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez left the game after the second inning with back pain...Kershaw is 2-1 in four starts against the Marlins in his career...Nolasco is 0-2 in four starts against the Dodgers in his career...Los Angeles hosts Colorado for three games starting on Monday...Florida finishes its nine-game road trip in Arizona where it will start a three-game set on Monday.
- FLORIDA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 8
May 29 6:46 PM
- Casey Blake single to center scored Clayton Kershaw and Rafael Furcal with two out. Runner on first and Andre Ethier due up.
Marlins 0, Dodgers 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 29 5:46 PM
- Rafael Furcal single to center scored Dioner Navarro with two out. On the play, Clayton Kershaw advances to third and Rafael Furcal advances to second on the throw. Runners on second and third and Casey Blake due up.
Marlins 0, Dodgers 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 29 5:46 PM
- Clayton Kershaw grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Jay Gibbons with two out. Jamey Carroll out at second. Dioner Navarro advances to third. Runners on first and third and Rafael Furcal due up.
Marlins 0, Dodgers 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 29 5:44 PM
- Dioner Navarro single to center scored Matt Kemp with two out. On the play, Jay Gibbons advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jamey Carroll due up.
Marlins 0, Dodgers 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 29 5:04 PM
- Jay Gibbons single to left scored Andre Ethier with two out. On the play, Matt Kemp advances to third. Runners on first and third and Dioner Navarro due up.
Marlins 0, Dodgers 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 29 5:03 PM
- Rafael Furcal none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Clayton Kershaw. Casey Blake due up.
Marlins 0, Dodgers 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 29 4:57 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 29 4:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22