Loney leads the way as Dodgers beat RockiesMay 31, 2011 - 3:55 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - James Loney hit a two-run homer and drove in three runs, as the Los Angeles Dodgers handled the Colorado Rockies, 7-1, in the opener of a three-game series.
Andre Ethier went 2-for-4 with three RBI and a run scored for the Dodgers, who improved to 3-1 on a six-game homestand.
Chad Billingsley (4-4) gave up one run on 11 hits over seven innings to pick up the win. He also struck out eight and walked two.
"I had to make pitches when I had to," Billingsley said. "I threw out of the stretch a lot tonight."
Ty Wigginton hit a solo homer for the Rockies, who have lost nine of their last 11 games.
Jason Hammel (3-5) allowed seven runs on 10 hits over 4 2/3 innings to suffer the loss. He hasn't won since April 30.
"I am frustrated. It's not fun right now. We have to make it fun," Hammel said.
The Rockies had a runner thrown out at home in the first inning. Carlos Gonzalez hit a two-out single, stole second and was gunned down at home on Troy Tulowitzki's base hit.
Colorado left men in scoring position in the second and third.
The Dodgers capitalized with a four-run third. Billingsley, Rafael Furcal and Jamey Carroll hit three straight singles to quickly load the bases. Ethier followed with a two-run single to center. Matt Kemp then grounded into a fielder's choice to plate another run. Kemp stole second and crossed the plate on Loney's base hit for a 4-0 lead.
Wigginton's solo shot to left-center field in the fourth put the Rockies on the board.
Los Angeles used a three-run fifth to essentially put the game out of reach. Carroll led off with a triple and scored on Ethier's base hit. Three batters later, Loney hit a two-run homer to right-center field to make it a 7-1 contest.
Colorado loaded the bases with one out in the seventh, but Tulowitzki grounded into a double play.
Matt Guerrier and Javy Guerra each tossed a scoreless inning of relief to secure the victory.
Los Angeles won 11 of 18 versus Colorado a season ago, but the Rockies opened up the season series this year by sweeping a two-game set at home on April 5-6...Billingsley improved to 3-5 lifetime against the Rockies...Colorado started a nine-game road trip on Monday. The Rockies also started a stretch of 16 straight against fellow National League West residents...Colorado went 1- for-12 with runners in scoring position and stranded 13...Todd Helton had three hits for the Rockies.
- COLORADO: 1
LOS ANGELES: 7
May 30 11:18 PM
- James Loney two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right center scored Andre Ethier. Rod Barajas due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 30 9:59 PM
- Matt Kemp popped out to second. Runner on first with one out and Jay Gibbons due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 5 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 30 9:54 PM
- Ty Wigginton two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left center. Chris Iannetta due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 4 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 30 9:25 PM
- James Loney singled to center scored Matt Kemp. Runner on first with two outs and Rod Barajas due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 30 9:18 PM
- Matt Kemp grounded into a fielder's choice, center to second scored Jamey Carroll. Andre Ethier out at second. Runner on first with one out and Jay Gibbons due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 3 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 30 9:14 PM
- Andre Ethier singled to center scored Chad Billingsley and Rafael Furcal. On the play, Jamey Carroll advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Matt Kemp due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 30 9:11 PM
- COLORADO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 30 8:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22