Rockies edge DodgersJun 11, 2011 - 6:29 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Jhoulys Chacin pitched eight scoreless innings and the Colorado Rockies survived to take a 6-5 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the second of four from Coors Field.
Chacin gave up just three hits and three walks with nine strikeouts for the Rockies, who won for the fourth time in their past five games.
"Great command. Really mixed it up, really pitched tonight," Colorado catcher Chris Iannetta said about Chacin.
Todd Helton and Seth Smith each drove in two runs while Carlos Gonzalez went 4-for-5 with a run scored for Colorado, which belted out 17 hits in the game.
Chad Billingsley (5-5) gave up six runs on 13 hits over 4 2/3 innings to take the loss for the Dodgers, who have dropped their past three games.
"I left a couple pitches over the middle of the plate and you can't do that here," Billingsley said.
The Rockies held a 6-0 lead going into the ninth and turned the ball over to Matt Belisle to complete the shutout, but with one out Matt Kemp drilled a pitch over the wall in left. James Loney then hit a single and, after Juan Uribe flied out, Dioner Navarro reached base on a Chris Nelson error. Tony Gwynn Jr. then doubled home a run and Huston Street took the hill.
He also struggled, though, as he gave up a two-run single to Aaron Miles and the tying run was at the plate. After Miles took second on defensive indifference, Rod Barajas singled to center to make it a 6-5 contest. Street, though, then got Trent Oeltjen to strike out and picked up his 19th save of the season.
Colorado got on the board in the second inning when Troy Tulowitzki led off the inning with his 12th home run of the season.
The fourth saw Los Angeles have runners on second and third with two outs, but Chacin got Uribe to strike out to end the inning.
The Rockies plated five runs in the fifth to take a 6-0 lead. WIth men on second and third, Helton singled them both home and Tulowitzki followed with a single. A wild pitch moved both runners up a base and Smith punched a two-run single to right. After Ty Wigginton singled and Charlie Blackmon flied out, Chris Iannetta singled home Smith.
After the fourth inning, Chacin didn't allow a runner past second base before being replaced for the ninth.
Colorado has taken five of the seven games against Los Angeles this season...Kemp leads the National League with 19 home runs...Chacin improved to 5-3 in nine games against the Dodgers...Billingsley fell to 3-6 in 14 games against the Rockies.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Jun 10 11:32 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Rod Barajas single to center scored Aaron Miles. Runner on first with two outs and Trent Oeltjen due up.
Dodgers 5, Rockies 6 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 10 11:29 PM
- Aaron Miles single to center scored Dioner Navarro and Tony Gwynn Jr. Runner on first with two outs and Dee Gordon due up.
Dodgers 4, Rockies 6 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 10 11:26 PM
- Tony Gwynn Jr. double to left scored James Loney. On the play, Dioner Navarro advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Aaron Miles due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 6 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 10 11:22 PM
- James Loney singled to left. Runner on first with one out and Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 1, Rockies 6 Top 9, 1 OutJun 10 11:15 PM
- Trent Oeltjen walked. Runner on first with one out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 6 Top 6, 1 OutJun 10 10:22 PM
- Ty Wigginton singled to left. On the play, Seth Smith advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Charlie Blackmon due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 5 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 10 10:10 PM
- Todd Helton single to right scored Carlos Gonzalez and Chris Nelson. Runner on first with one out and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 10 10:04 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki lead-off Home Run (12) to left. Seth Smith due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 10 9:09 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 10 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22