Dodgers score two in 9th to salvage series with AngelsJun 26, 2011 - 11:53 PM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Tony Gwynn Jr. capped a two-run ninth inning with an RBI single, as the Dodgers rallied past the Angels, 3-2, to avoid a three-game sweep.
Vernon Wells put the Angels ahead, 2-1, with a solo homer off Clayton Kershaw in the top of the ninth.
But the Dodgers scored twice off Jordan Walden (1-2) in the home half of the frame to win the game. Juan Uribe led off with a walk and was replaced by the speedy Dee Gordon, who stole second. Dioner Navarro then walked before both runners moved up on a sacrifice bunt. Pinch-hitter Aaron Miles lifted a ball to center, where Peter Bourjos made the catch. Gordon raced home once the ball was caught and somehow managed to slide in safely. Trent Oeltjen came on as a pinch-runner for Navarro and crossed the plate on Gwynn's base hit to right to snap the Dodgers' three-game skid.
Gwynn's hit made a winner of Kershaw (8-3), who pitched his third complete game of the season. The young southpaw gave up two runs on six hits in his 100th career start. Kershaw also struck out 11 and walked zero.
"Great game," Kershaw said. "I was fortunate to get out of some lead-off walk situations. Tony picked me up today. It was a significant win."
Angels starter Jered Weaver was nearly as good, allowing one run on seven hits over seven full frames. Weaver also struck out four and walked one.
The Angels went 8-4 on a season-long 12-game road trip, while the Dodgers went 4-8 on a season-long 12-game homestand.
Both starting pitchers were dominant from the start, as a baserunner did not reach second base until the fourth. Maicer Izturis led off the top of the fourth with a single, moved to second a sacrifice bunt and advanced to third on a groundout. Wells struck out swinging to keep it a scoreless game.
The Dodgers had a runner reach second in the home half, when Andre Ethier hit a one-out double to right. Matt Kemp followed with a single to put men on the corners. Weaver made sure nobody scored by retiring the next two batters.
The home team had another chance to score in the fifth. Navarro walked and Jamey Carroll singled to put runners on the corners with nobody out. Kershaw hit a grounder to second baseman Izturis, who went home with the throw for the first out. Weaver kept his cool for a second consecutive inning, again retiring the final two batters.
The Angels broke a scoreless tie in the seventh. Erick Aybar led off with a double to left and came around to score on Howie Kendrick's base hit to center. Kershaw retired the next three batters to keep it a 1-0 game.
Kershaw then helped his own cause in the home seventh with a two-out single to left. Gwynn followed with a hit to deep right field that hit off the glove of Wells. Kershaw scored on the triple to make it a 1-1 game.
"You have to tip your cap to Kershaw," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "We didn't play well enough to finish that game out."
Anaheim won five of six matchups with the Dodgers a year ago and swept a three-game set at Chavez Ravine from June 11-13...In 10 starts at Chavez Ravine this season, Kershaw is 6-1. Kershaw threw his fourth career complete game...Angels outfielder Torii Hunter (bruised left rib cage) missed his third straight game...The Dodgers were without outfielder Marcus Thames (left calf)...The Angels had won six in a row at Dodger Stadium.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
LOS ANGELES: 3
Jun 26 7:03 PM
- Tony Gwynn Jr. Walk-Off singled to right scored Trent Oeltjen to end the game.
Angels 2, Dodgers 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 26 7:02 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Aaron Miles sacrifice fly out to center scored Dee Gordon. Runner on second with two outs and Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Angels 2, Dodgers 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 26 6:57 PM
- Vernon Wells two-out, solo Home Run (9) to left. Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 2, Dodgers 1 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 26 6:41 PM
- Tony Gwynn Jr. tripled to right scored Clayton Kershaw. Runner on third with two outs and Casey Blake due up.
Angels 1, Dodgers 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 26 6:10 PM
- Howie Kendrick singled to center scored Erick Aybar. On the play, Howie Kendrick andvances to second on the throw. Runner on second with none out and Vernon Wells due up.
Angels 1, Dodgers 0 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 26 5:54 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 26 4:11 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22