Fowler lifts Rockies to wild 13-inning win over DodgersAug 21, 2011 - 4:20 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Dexter Fowler knocked in the game-winning run in the bottom of the 13th inning with a sharp single to left to send the Colorado Rockies to a dramatic 7-6 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the middle test of a three-game set at Coors Field.
After the first two batters made outs, Mark Ellis ripped a double into the right-center field gap off Blake Hawksworth (2-4) and Fowler followed with his hit to win it in walkoff fashion.
"It's awesome," Fowler said. "Especially in the 13th inning. It showed the character of the team, the way we came back and battled."
J.C. Romero (1-0) tossed a scoreless top of the 13th to earn the win.
Todd Helton launched a home run on his 38th birthday and Eric Young Jr. collected a triple and an RBI for the Rockies, winners in three of their last five games.
Aaron Miles homered leading off the 12th inning against Matt Reynolds, and Trent Oeltjen followed with an inside the park homer, becoming the first Dodger to do so since Blake DeWitt accomplished the feat on May 6, 2008. Oeltjen was allowed to circle the bases after Fowler misplayed the ball, but he atoned for the mistake.
"If you play that long and you get a couple runs, you feel pretty good," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "You're going to get to your closer and you feel like you're in a pretty good position at that point."
Fowler worked a leadoff walk against Javy Guerra and moved to third on a single by Troy Tulowitzki. Helton then drove Fowler home with a double. Pinch- hitter Eliezer Alfonzo chased Tulowitzki home with a groundout to force the contest to a 13th inning.
Juan Rivera singled in two runs in the opening inning, but Carlos Gonzalez plated Young with a groundout in the bottom half.
Helton blasted his 14th homer of the year leading off the second and the Rockies took the lead the next inning when Young scored on a Gonzalez single.
Justin Sellers and Matt Kemp had RBI hits in the LA fourth before the Rockies tied it at 4-4 in the seventh on Young's single.
Jamey Carroll grounded out to strand Oeltjen at second in the 10th, and Colorado had a chance to win the game in the bottom of the inning, but Tulowitzki flew out to left two men on base.
The Rockies loaded the bases with nobody out in the 11th, but came up empty.
Colorado is 3-2 on its current nine-game homestand...Helton homered for the fifth time in his career on his birthday...Kemp extended his hitting streak to 10 games...Los Angeles went 3-for-15 with runners in scoring position, while Colorado went 4-for-12...Dodgers starter Lilly lasted 4 2/3 innings, giving up three runs on three hits while fanning five and walking three. He was removed from the game with neck stiffness...Rockies starter Esmil Rogers gave up four runs on 12 hits over six innings. He struck out five and walked one.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
Aug 20 9:18 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Eliezer Alfonzo groundout to third scored Troy Tulowitzki with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Iannetta due up.
Dodgers 6, Rockies 6 Bot 12, 2 OutsAug 20 8:56 PM
- Eliezer Alfonzo is pinch-hitting for Matt Reynolds.
Dodgers 6, Rockies 5 Bot 12, 1 OutAug 20 8:54 PM
- Trent Oeltjen two-out, solo inside-the-park Home Run (2) to center. Dioner Navarro due up.
Dodgers 6, Rockies 4 Top 12, 2 OutsAug 20 8:36 PM
- Aaron Miles lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 5, Rockies 4 Top 12, 0 OutsAug 20 8:29 PM
- Eric Young Jr. caught stealing second to end the inning.
Dodgers 4, Rockies 4 End 7Aug 20 6:48 PM
- Matt Kemp single to left scored Justin Sellers with two out. On the play, Aaron Miles advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Juan Rivera due up.
Dodgers 4, Rockies 3 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 20 5:40 PM
- Justin Sellers single to left center scored Tony Gwynn Jr. with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Aaron Miles due up.
Dodgers 3, Rockies 3 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 20 5:37 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez single to right center scored Eric Young Jr. with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 20 5:19 PM
- Todd Helton lead-off Home Run (14) to left. Ty Wigginton due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 20 4:52 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez groundout to first scored Eric Young Jr. with two out. None on with two outs and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 20 4:35 PM
- Juan Rivera single to left scored Tony Gwynn Jr. and Justin Sellers with one out. On the play, Matt Kemp advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Trent Oeltjen due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 20 4:21 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 20 4:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22