Smith powers Rockies past DodgersAug 22, 2011 - 2:45 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Seth Smith's two-run home run in the seventh lifted the Colorado Rockies to a 5-3 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the finale of a three-game set.
The win comes as a relief for Colorado as the team had dropped 17 straight games on a Sunday, a record for the modern era that matches the St. Louis Browns' record set June 19-October 9, 1898. The streak began after a win against Chicago on April 17 followed by a loss to Florida on April 24.
"It didn't matter to us," Smith said about the skid. "It's just good that we won. ... The streaks for [the media]."
Carlos Gonzalez added a two-run home run in the first inning for the Rockies, who have won three of their last four. Kevin Millwood (1-1) went seven innings in his first win of the season as he was charged with three runs on seven hits. He walked one batter and recorded four strikeouts.
James Loney went 4-for-4 with a solo home run and two RBI while Matt Kemp drove in the other run for the Dodgers, who have dropped five of seven. Chad Billingsley (10-10) took the loss as he gave up five runs -- four earned -- on three hits with five walks and seven strikeouts over 7 2/3 innings of work.
The Rockies got on board in the first when Mark Ellis singled with one out and Gonzalez followed with his 21st home run of the year.
The Dodgers got a run back in the second when Loney doubled home Kemp and the team tied the game in the third as Kemp doubled in Justin Sellers.
Loney led off the fourth with his sixth homer of the year to give the Dodgers a 3-2 lead.
"James was good today. It shows you what he's capable of," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said.
In the seventh, Jason Giambi walked and Smith hit his 14th homer of the season for a 4-3 lead.
The Rockies added a sacrifice fly from Troy Tulowitzki in the eighth for a 5-3 advantage while Rafael Betancourt worked the ninth for his second save of the season.
Kemp has an 11-game hitting streak...Colorado has won eight of the 15 games against the Dodgers this season...Billingsley fell to 3-7 over 15 games against the Rockies...Millwood improved to 6-3 in 10 games against the Dodgers, but this was his first game against them since 2002...Colorado hosts Houston for three games starting on Monday...The Dodgers play three games in St. Louis beginning on Monday.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
Aug 21 6:18 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki sacrifice fly to center scored Eric Young Jr. with two outs. Runners on first and second and and Todd Helton due up.
Dodgers 3, Rockies 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 21 5:56 PM
- Seth Smith one-out, two-run Home Run (14) to right center scored Jason Giambi. Eliezer Alfonzo due up.
Dodgers 3, Rockies 4 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 21 5:22 PM
- James Loney lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Dioner Navarro due up.
Dodgers 3, Rockies 2 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 21 4:07 PM
- Matt Kemp double to left scored Justin Sellers with two outs. Runner on second and Juan Rivera due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 2 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 21 3:55 PM
- James Loney double to scored Matt Kemp with none out. On the play, Juan Rivera advances to third. Runners on second and third and Dioner Navarro due up.
Dodgers 1, Rockies 2 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 21 3:32 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez one-out, two-run Home Run (21) to right scored Mark Ellis. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 21 3:21 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 21 3:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22