Bumgarner, Giants beat Dodgers in finaleSep 12, 2011 - 1:16 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Madison Bumgarner threw five solid innings to lead the San Francisco Giants to an 8-1 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the finale of a three-game series at AT&T Park.
Bumgarner (11-12) gave up only one run on three hits while fanning eight and walking three.
"He had great command today and made some great pitches," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "His pitch count just got up there a little bit."
Jeff Keppinger smacked a two-run double, Pablo Sandoval had three doubles and Aubrey Huff and Mark DeRosa collected two RBI apiece for the Giants, who snapped a three-game skid.
Tony Gwynn Jr. picked up two hits and the lone RBI, while Aaron Miles and Rod Barajas chipped in with hits for the Dodgers, who had a four-game winning streak snapped.
Hiroki Kuroda (11-16) was saddled with the loss after yielding three runs on eight hits over 4 2/3 innings. He struck out three and walked one.
Los Angeles opened the scoring in the second inning. Miles roped a one-out single to left and Barajas walked prior to Gwynn doubling in Miles to give the Dodgers an early lead.
The Giants evened the score in the home half of the inning. Huff ripped a double to center to begin the frame and Brandon Belt walked to put runners on first and second with no outs. After a Brandon Crawford flyout, Eli Whiteside singled home Huff to knot the score at one.
San Francisco picked up a pair of runs in the fifth to take a 3-1 lead. Keppinger laced a one-out single, and after a Carlos Beltran foul out, Sandoval smashed a double down into the left field corner to score Keppinger. Huff followed by singling home Sandoval.
The Dodgers mounted a threat in the sixth. Barajas clubbed a two-out double down the line in right following a Rivera walk to put men on second and third with two outs. Giants reliever Dan Runzler kept his team in front though, striking out Gwynn to end the inning.
San Francisco broke the game open in the home half of the inning to take a commanding 8-1 lead. Crawford and Whiteside walked to begin the rally and both runners advanced on a sacrifice bunt by Andres Torres. Josh Lindblom then entered the game out of the Dodgers' bullpen and intentionally walked Cody Ross to load the bases. Keppinger came through in the clutch with a two-run double to center.
Scott Elbert was summoned out of the bullpen to try and limit the damage. Los Angeles elected to intentionally walk Sandoval to reload the bases. Huff ripped an RBI single to make it 6-1 and pinch-hitter DeRosa cracked a single up the middle, bringing home Keppinger and Sandoval for a comfortable 8-1 advantage.
Bumgarner has won each of his last four starts...The Dodgers completed their 10-game road trip going 7-3...San Francisco leads the season series by an 8-7 count with three games still to play at Dodger Stadium September 20-22.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
SAN FRANCISCO: 8
Sep 11 7:35 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mark DeRosa singled to center scored Jeff Keppinger and Pablo Sandoval. On the play, Aubrey Huff advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Brandon Crawford due up.
Dodgers 1, Giants 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 11 6:56 PM
- Aubrey Huff's two-out, bases loaded walk scored Cody Ross. Bases loaded with two outs and Dan Runzler due up.
Dodgers 1, Giants 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 11 6:54 PM
- Jeff Keppinger doubled to right center scored Brandon Crawford and Eli Whiteside. On the play, Cody Ross advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Carlos Beltran due up.
Dodgers 1, Giants 5 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 11 6:46 PM
- Aubrey Huff singled to center scored Pablo Sandoval. Runner on first with two outs and Brandon Belt due up.
Dodgers 1, Giants 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 11 6:03 PM
- Pablo Sandoval doubled to left scored Jeff Keppinger. Runner on second with two outs and Aubrey Huff due up.
Dodgers 1, Giants 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 11 6:02 PM
- Eli Whiteside singled to left scored Aubrey Huff. On the play, Brandon Belt advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Madison Bumgarner due up.
Dodgers 1, Giants 1 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 11 4:59 PM
- Tony Gwynn Jr. doubled to right scored Aaron Miles. On the play, Rod Barajas advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Russ Mitchell due up.
Dodgers 1, Giants 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 11 4:38 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 11 4:07 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22