Lind powers Blue Jays past AngelsAug 13, 2011 - 11:46 PM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Adam Lind hit the third grand slam of his career to help the Blue Jays to an 11-2 pummeling of the Angels in the second of a three-game set.
Lind finished with five RBI while Edwin Encarnacion hit a two-run home run and drove in three for the Blue Jays, who had lost three of four coming in.
Ricky Romero (11-9) carried a no-hitter into the fifth inning and left the game after seven innings as he gave up just one run on two hits to win his fourth straight start.
Alberto Callaspo hit a solo home run and Mark Trumbo drove in the other run for the Angels, who have now lost three of four.
Jered Weaver (14-6) had his club record of 15 straight quality starts snapped as he was tagged for eight runs on eight hits over just 4 2/3 innings. It was his first appearance since serving a six-game suspension handed to him after he threw a pitch at the head of Detroit's Alex Avila in a game on July 31. Weaver appealed the decision, but dropped his appeal after a start on August 5.
"It was just one of those days out there," said Weaver. "It took 20-some starts for it to happen, but it happened and you can't hang your head over it. I'll be ready for my next start."
The Blue Jays wasted no time grabbing the lead as Yunel Escobar led off the first with a single and Encarnacion later followed with his 11th home run of the year for a 2-0 lead.
The second saw back-to-back doubles from Rajai Davis and John McDonald to give Toronto a 3-0 advantage.
Romero had a no-hitter through four innings, but Callaspo ruined that and the shutout when he led off the fifth with his fifth home run of the season to make it a two-run game.
The Blue Jays, though, answered that and more in the fifth. After the first batter recorded an out, the next three reached base and Lind cleared them with a shot over the wall in right. Mark Teahen later hit a solo homer for an 8-1 lead.
"He's one of the best pitchers in baseball and he got us in Anaheim earlier this year," said Lind about Weaver. "But we were able to get to him today and that's how baseball works sometimes."
RBI singles from Encarnacion and J.P. Arencibia were sandwiched by a Lind sacrifice fly in the sixth for an 11-1 lead.
A sacrifice fly from Trumbo in the ninth accounted for the final score.
Also, Weaver had gone 25 straight starts of six innings or more while allowing seven hits or less. That was the longest such streak in MLB since 1919...Angels designated hitter Torii Hunter extended his hitting streak to 11 games with a triple in the ninth. he is batting 19-for-40 during his run...Encarnacion is hitting 16-for-39 during his 12-game hitting streak...Romero improved to 3-2 over five games against the Angels.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
Aug 13 3:49 PM
- Mark Trumbo sacrifice fly to center scored Torii Hunter. None on with one out and Russell Branyan due up.
Angels 2, Blue Jays 11 Top 9, 1 OutAug 13 3:43 PM
- J.P. Arencibia singled to left center scored Eric Thames. On the play, Edwin Encarnacion advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Mark Teahen due up.
Angels 1, Blue Jays 11 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 13 3:05 PM
- Adam Lind sacrifice fly out to center scored Yunel Escobar. Runners on first and second and with one out and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Angels 1, Blue Jays 10 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 13 3:03 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion infield single to third scored John McDonald. On the play, Eric Thames advances to second and Yunel Escobar advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Adam Lind due up.
Angels 1, Blue Jays 9 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 13 3:01 PM
- Mark Teahen two-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Brett Lawrie due up.
Angels 1, Blue Jays 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 13 2:38 PM
- Adam Lind one-out, Grand Slam (20) to right scored Yunel Escobar, Eric Thames and Edwin Encarnacion. J.P. Arencibia due up.
Angels 1, Blue Jays 7 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 13 2:35 PM
- Alberto Callaspo lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 1, Blue Jays 3 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 13 2:17 PM
- John McDonald doubled to left scored Rajai Davis. Runner on second with two outs and Yunel Escobar due up.
Angels 0, Blue Jays 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 13 1:43 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion one-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Yunel Escobar. Adam Lind due up.
Angels 0, Blue Jays 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 13 1:21 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 13 1:10 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22