Encarnacion, Blue Jays walk off in extrasAug 15, 2011 - 12:38 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Edwin Encarnacion delivered a game-winning RBI single in the 10th inning, lifting the Blue Jays to a 5-4 victory over the Angels in the finale of a three-game series Sunday.
The Blue Jays had tied the game in the bottom of the ninth on back-to-back doubles by Colby Rasmus and Brett Lawrie, who also played defensive hero a half-inning earlier when he caught the Angels in a double rundown.
"They're a good team and they hit some pitches. That's baseball. That's the way it is," said Angels reliever Scott Downs, who pitched an inning.
Eric Thames and Jose Bautista hit back-to-back homers in the fourth inning for the Blue Jays, who won the last two games of the series.
Encarnacion was 2-for-5 and extended his hitting streak to 13 games. In the 10th, after Fernando Rodney (2-5) walked Yunel Escobar and Bautista, Encarnacion reached out for Hisanori Takahashi's away changeup and pulled a line drive into left-center field, scoring Escobar for the game-winner.
Jon Rauch (5-3) pitched a perfect top of the 10th for the win, throwing seven of his nine pitches for strikes.
Lawrie hit a line-drive double in the bottom of the ninth to knock in Rasmus and tie the game at 4-4. Lawrie stole third base but was stranded there when Angels closer Jordan Walden struck out J.P. Arencibia and John McDonald popped up to end the inning.
In the top of the ninth, after Bobby Abreu singled and stole two bases, Lawrie fielded Mark Trumbo's grounder at third base and caught Abreu in a rundown. Then, Lawrie spun and raced across the field to catch Trumbo in a rundown between first and second base, completing a unique double play.
"I play for these guys, I don't play for myself," Lawrie said.
Torii Hunter hit a two-run homer in the first inning for the Angels to extend his hitting streak to 12 games. Peter Bourjos tripled and scored on Alberto Callaspo's sacrifice fly to make it 3-0 in the third.
Angels starter Dan Haren didn't give up a hit until the fourth inning, when Thames and Bautista went back-to-back with one out, pulling the Blue Jays within 3-2.
Thames hit his seventh homer, while Bautista got his 34th to take the major league lead over Yankees center fielder Curtis Granderson.
"It was a huge win for us. The whole day we had great at-bats and Haren's a great pitcher," said Thames.
The Angels scored one more run against Toronto starter Brett Cecil when Bobby Wilson hit a ground-rule double and Bourjos followed with a two-base hit to left to make it 4-2 in the fifth.
Cecil gave up five hits in seven innings, striking out three without a walk.
Toronto scratched out a run in the sixth when McDonald hit a leadoff double, went to third on a fly out and scored on Thames' ground out to get the Blue Jays within 4-3.
Haren also went seven innings, giving up five hits and striking out five without a walk.
Toronto's Rajai Davis reached on a fielder's choice as a pinch-hitter in the eighth inning, then limped off with an injury...Encarnacion is 18-for-44 during his hitting streak...The Angels are headed back to Anaheim for a nine- game homestand that starts Monday against the Texas Rangers.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
Aug 14 4:02 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion single to left center scored Yunel Escobar with two out to win the game.
Angels 4, Blue Jays 5 Bot 10, 2 OutsAug 14 4:01 PM
- Brett Lawrie stole third. Runner on third with one out and J.P. Arencibia at the plate.
Angels 4, Blue Jays 4 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 14 3:35 PM
- Jose Bautista singled to left. Runner on first with two outs and Adam Lind due up.
Angels 4, Blue Jays 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 14 2:34 PM
- Peter Bourjos double to left scored Bobby Wilson with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 4, Blue Jays 2 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 14 2:07 PM
- Adam Lind grounded out second to first. None on with two outs and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Angels 3, Blue Jays 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 14 1:59 PM
- Eric Thames one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Jose Bautista due up.
Angels 3, Blue Jays 1 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 14 1:56 PM
- Alberto Callaspo sacrifice fly to right scored Peter Bourjos with two out. None on with two outs and Bobby Abreu due up.
Angels 3, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 14 1:39 PM
- Torii Hunter two-out, two-run Home Run (15) to left scored Bobby Abreu. Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 14 1:12 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 14 1:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22