Trumbo, Wells power Angels past TwinsSep 4, 2011 - 5:32 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Mark Trumbo hit a grand slam and Vernon Wells added a go-ahead solo homer in the fifth inning, as the Angels downed the Twins, 10-6, in the middle contest of a three-game set
A beneficiary of the offensive outburst, Jered Weaver (16-7) earned the win despite allowing six runs on eight hits over five frames. He struck out eight, walked three and tied a career-high with his 16th win of the season.
"I wasn't sharp," said Weaver. "The Twins hit some of my mistakes but our guys picked me up."
Peter Bourjos added a home run for the Angels, who had lost five of eight entering the contest. They moved 3 1/2 games behind the AL West-leading Rangers, who lost, 12-7, to the Red Sox on Saturday.
Twins starter Brian Duensing exited in the second inning with a right oblique strain and Phil Dumatrait (1-3) allowed four runs -- two earned -- in 1 1/3 innings to suffer the loss.
"I felt a little sore warming up in the bullpen before the game," said Duensing. "I've never done oblique before, hopefully I can avoid the [disabled list]. Right now we'll try to go day-to-day."
Trevor Plouffe had four RBI for the Twins, who saw their brief two-game win streak come to an end.
Trumbo's slam in the bottom of the first gave the Angels a 4-0 lead, but Weaver struggled to maintain the advantage. Danny Valencia led off the top of the second with a home run and RBI singles by Ben Revere and Plouffe later in the frame made it a 4-3 game.
Alberto Callaspo's RBI double and Erick Aybar's bases-loaded single in the second and third, respectively, pushed the Angels' lead to 6-3, but again Weaver faltered.
Tsuyoshi Nishioka and Rene Rivera singled in the top of the fourth, before Revere reached on an infield grounder to load the bases. Plouffe followed with a game-tying double to left.
Wells re-established the Angels' advantage with a two-out blast in the fifth and Bourjos added a leadoff shot an inning later. Later in the sixth, Wells' RBI single and Mike Trout's RBI double capped the scoring.
Bobby Cassevah relieved Weaver with 2 2/3 scoreless innings and Scott Downs recorded the game's final four outs.
Weaver also won 16 games in 2009. He is 8-1 at home this season...The Angels have won seven of their last eight home games...Aybar extended his hit streak to 13 games.
- MINNESOTA: 6
LOS ANGELES: 10
Sep 4 12:14 AM
- Mike Trout doubled to right scored Torii Hunter. On the play, Vernon Wells advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Erick Aybar due up.
Twins 6, Angels 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 3 11:28 PM
- Peter Bourjos lead-off Home Run (10) to center. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Twins 6, Angels 8 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 3 11:12 PM
- Vernon Wells two-out, solo Home Run (19) to center. Mike Trout due up.
Twins 6, Angels 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 3 10:56 PM
- Trevor Plouffe doubled to left scored Tsuyoshi Nishioka, Rene Rivera and Ben Revere. Runner on second with one out and Jason Kubel due up.
Twins 6, Angels 6 Top 4, 1 OutSep 3 10:31 PM
- Erick Aybar singled to right scored Torii Hunter. On the play, Aybar advances to second on the throw, Mike Trout advances to third and Vernon Wells out at home, right to catcher. Runners on second and third with two outs and Jeff Mathis due up.
Twins 3, Angels 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 3 10:18 PM
- Alberto Callaspo doubled to right scored Erick Aybar. Runner on second with two outs and Howie Kendrick due up.
Twins 3, Angels 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 3 9:59 PM
- Trevor Plouffe singled to left scored Tsuyoshi Nishioka. On the play, Ben Revere advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jason Kubel due up.
Twins 3, Angels 4 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 3 9:44 PM
- Ben Revere singled to left scored Luke Hughes. On the play, Tsuyoshi Nishioka advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 2, Angels 4 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 3 9:41 PM
- Danny Valencia lead-off Home Run (15) to center. Rene Tosoni due up.
Twins 1, Angels 4 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 3 9:32 PM
- Vernon Wells flied out to center. None on with two outs and Mike Trout due up.
Twins 0, Angels 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 3 9:29 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 3 9:07 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22