Wigginton, Spilborghs homer as Rockies rout GiantsApr 21, 2011 - 1:54 AM
Seth Smith drove in a pair of runs for the Rockies, who avoided a three-game sweep. Troy Tulowitzki collected three hits, including two doubles, and scored three runs for Colorado, which owns the best record in the National League at 13-5.
Jorge De La Rosa (3-0) gave up two runs on four hits with two walks and six strikeouts over seven strong innings to get the win.
"He had much better tempo today," Colorado manager Jim Tracy said about his starting pitcher.
Buster Posey knocked in both runs for San Francisco, which had won six of its last seven games. Giants starter Matt Cain (2-1) surrendered six runs on nine hits in 4 2/3 innings.
Trailing 1-0 after Posey singled home Aaron Rowand in the first inning, the Rockies put up a four-spot in the second.
Tulowitzki led off with a double and Todd Helton was hit by a pitch before Smith grounded an RBI single to center field. Wigginton followed with his 1,000th career hit -- a three-run blast to left.
"[Cain] made a mistake there for the three-run homer," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
Colorado extended its lead in the fifth, as Tulowitzki scored on a Wigginton groundout and Jose Morales stroked an RBI double.
The Giants scratched out a run in the sixth, but the Rockies tacked on four more in the next frame. San Francisco's Guillermo Mota replaced Dan Runzler after Smith singled home Tulowitzki. Morales stroked a two-out single to put men on the corners, and Spilborghs, pinch-hitting for De La Rosa, smacked a 3-2 pitch over the wall in right-center.
San Francisco activated outfielder Cody Ross from the 15-day disabled list Wednesday and optioned rookie first baseman Brandon Belt to Triple-A Fresno. Ross went 0-for-4 in his 2011 debut...Colorado finished 5-for-12 with runners in scoring position.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Apr 20 6:15 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Ryan Spilborghs two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to right center scored Seth Smith and Jose Morales. Dexter Fowler due up.
Giants 2, Rockies 10 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 20 5:44 PM
- Seth Smith singled to right scored Troy Tulowitzki. Runner on first with one out and Ty Wigginton due up.
Giants 2, Rockies 7 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 20 5:32 PM
- Buster Posey grounded out short to first scored Freddy Sanchez. None on with two outs and Cody Ross due up.
Giants 2, Rockies 6 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 20 5:07 PM
- Jose Morales doubled to left center scored Seth Smith. Runner on second with two outs and Jorge De La Rosa due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 20 4:54 PM
- Ty Wigginton grounded out short to first scored Troy Tulowitzki. Runner on second with two outs and Jose Morales due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 20 4:52 PM
- Ty Wigginton none-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Todd Helton and Seth Smith. Jose Morales due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 4 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 20 3:47 PM
- Seth Smith singled to center scored Troy Tulowitzki. Runners on first and third with none out and Ty Wigginton due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 20 3:45 PM
- Cody Ross lined out to left to end the inning.
Giants 1, Rockies 0 Mid 1Apr 20 3:21 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 20 3:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21