Fontenot's sac fly lifts Giants over RockiesMay 8, 2011 - 6:30 AM
With Felipe Paulino (0-3) on the mound, Aaron Rowand led off with a single and Freddy Sanchez followed with a single. Franklin Morales then took the mound and a wild pitch moved the runners up a bag before Fontenot hit a fly ball to deep right that was caught, but it was deep enough to easily score Rowand for the win.
Freddy Sanchez went 3-for-5 with an RBI while Buster Posey drove in the other run for the Giants, who have won four of their last five. Madison Bumgarner gave up just two runs -- one earned -- on five hits with two walks and five strikeouts over six-plus innings of work while Brian Wilson (2-1) got the win for throwing a scoreless ninth inning.
"I'm not missing over the middle as much and I'm making my pitches," said Bumgarner. "But I think I was just having a bit of bad luck there and they were capitalizing on my mistakes."
Todd Helton hit a two-run single for the Rockies, who have lost three straight games in the final at-bat. Clay Mortensen had a solid start as he gave up just two runs -- one earned -- on four hits with four walks and three strikeouts over six innings.
"We're in first place, but when the tide turns for us offensively, things are going to get better," said Colorado manager Jim Tracy. "But, unfortunately right now they're not and it's showing in the losses."
The Giants got on the board in the first for a 1-0 lead. Rowand led off with a walk and moved to second on a Sanchez single. A Fontenot groundout moved both runners up a base and Posey followed with a groundout that scored Rowand.
The fifth inning saw the Giants move up by two runs on a Sanchez double that plated Miguel Tejada, who reached base on a Jose Lopez error.
Colorado, which only had one runner reach second through the first six innings, tied the contest in the seventh.
Alfredo Amezaga led off with a single and Carlos Gonzalez followed with a single. Troy Tulowitzki then reached base on a Bumgarner error and Helton followed with a single that plated two runs.
Ramon Ramirez then took the mound and sent down the next three batters in order to escape the jam.
The Giants have won four of five against Colorado this season...Jorge De La Rosa pitches for Colorado on Sunday and will be opposed by Ryan Vogelsong...The Giants stranded 11 men on base while the Rockies left eight.
- COLORADO: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
May 8 12:06 AM
- Todd Helton singled to left scored Alfredo Amezaga and Carlos Gonzalez. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Jose Lopez due up.
Rockies 2, Giants 2 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 7 10:56 PM
- Mike Fontenot popped out to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Buster Posey due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 7 10:22 PM
- Buster Posey grounded out short to first scored Aaron Rowand. On the play, Freddy Sanchez advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Aubrey Huff due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 7 9:21 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 7 9:05 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21