Rockies use late rally to down Giants, sweep seriesMay 17, 2011 - 10:16 PM
Dexter Fowler drove in a run in the eighth and Troy Tulowitzki hit a solo home run for the Rockies, who came into the set having dropped four of five.
Ubaldo Jimenez gave up three runs on eight hits with a walk and seven strikeouts over seven innings. Matt Belisle (4-2) picked up the win with a scoreless inning of relief, while Huston Street recorded his 14th save of the season.
Pat Burrell hit a two-run double and Miguel Tejada drove in a run for the Giants, who have dropped three of four. Jonathan Sanchez (3-3) gave up four runs -- three earned -- on five hits with five strikeouts over seven-plus innings.
Trailing by two runs in the eighth, Colorado got its first two men on base and Alfredo Amezaga laid down a bunt to the left side that Sanchez fielded, but he threw the ball past first base and Ryan Spilborghs scored to make it a one-run game.
Javier Lopez then took the mound and Fowler greeted him with a double that one-hopped the wall in center to tie the contest. After Jonathan Herrera grounded out, Gonzalez laced a single to right for a 5-3 advantage.
Street gave up a one-out single to Cody Ross in the ninth, but Andres Torres hit a grounder back to the mound that was turned into a game-ending double play.
The Giants took the lead in the second when Aubrey Huff doubled and Tejada followed with a single, but the Rockies tied it in the bottom of the inning on a leadoff home run from Tulowitzki, his 11th of the year.
San Francisco plated two more in the third to go ahead. With two outs, Mike Fontenot singled to stay alive and Buster Posey followed with a base hit. Burrell then doubled to center to bring home both runners for a 3-1 lead.
Colorado had runners on base in each of the next three innings, but were unable to get any across and were retired in order in the sixth and seventh.
The Rockies play two in Philly starting on Wednesday...San Francisco has won five of eight over Colorado this season...San Fran plays two in Los Angeles starting on Wednesday...Sanchez fell to 4-5 against Colorado in his career.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 3
May 17 5:48 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez singled to right scoring Alfredo Amezaga and Dexter Fowler with one out. Runner on first and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Giants 3, Rockies 5 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 17 5:33 PM
- Dexter Fowler ground-rule double to center scored Chris Iannetta with none out. On the play, Alfredo Amezaga advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Giants 3, Rockies 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 17 5:29 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Alfredo Amezaga reached first on Jonathan Sanchez's throwing error scoring Ryan Spilborghs with none out. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to third. Runners on first and third and Dexter Fowler due up.
Giants 3, Rockies 2 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 17 5:26 PM
- Pat Burrell doubled to center scoring Mike Fontenot and Buster Posey with two out. Runner on second and Aubrey Huff due up.
Giants 3, Rockies 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 17 3:45 PM
- Ty Wigginton lined out to center. None on with one out and Jose Lopez due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 17 3:33 PM
- Miguel Tejada singled to right scoring Aubrey Huff with one out. Runner on first and Aaron Rowand due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 17 3:26 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 17 3:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21