Giants clip RockiesJun 4, 2011 - 6:31 AM
Cain (4-4) twirled seven innings of one-run ball, scattering four hits and four walks while striking out seven for San Francisco, which opened this three-game National League West series with its third straight win.
Juan Nicasio (1-1), in his second career start, gave up three runs on nine hits over six innings, though he did record two of Colorado's five hits.
The Rockies, who have lost eight of 10 overall, went ahead in the fourth inning on Todd Helton's run-scoring groundout.
But Colorado stranded Troy Tulowitzki on third base, one of nine left on during its 1-for-13 performance with runners in scoring position.
"It's a rough spell that's lasted a lot longer than we would have liked," Rockies right fielder Seth Smith said.
San Francisco went ahead in its half of the fourth. With two on and two outs, Ross found the gap in left to bring in Freddy Sanchez and Nate Schierholtz, then scored on Brandon Crawford's double.
"When we get a lead I want to stay out there as long as possible. That's really what all five [starting pitchers] try to do," Cain said.
Cain did so by leaving the bases loaded in the fifth when Helton groundout back to the mound, and Giants relievers Javier Lopez and Brian Wilson each hurled a scoreless inning of relief to close of the win.
Wilson had a little difficulty earning his 16th save, but retired pinch-hitter Ryan Spilborghs and Smith to end the game with two runners on base.
Of the Giants' first 57 games, 46 have been decided by three runs or fewer...Emmanuel Burriss went 3-for-4 for the Giants...Game time: 2:33.
- COLORADO: 1
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Jun 4 12:49 AM
- Brandon Crawford double to right scored Cody Ross with two outs. Runner on second and Eli Whiteside due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 3 11:30 PM
- Todd Helton ground out second to first scored Carlos Gonzalez with one out. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki advances to third. Runner on third and Ty Wigginton due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 3 11:09 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 3 10:17 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21