Giants beat Rockies to take seriesJun 6, 2011 - 4:05 AM
Ryan Vogelsong (4-1) went eight innings, allowing one run on four hits and a walk while fanning seven and Brian Wilson earned his 17th save with a 1-2-3 ninth inning.
"To be counted on to go out there and win games, it's a great feeling," Vogelsong said.
Freddy Sanchez knocked in Torres with an RBI single for the Giants' other run as they captured their fifth win in their last seven games.
Rockies starter Jason Hammel had a no-hitter broken up after 5 2/3 innings and allowed one run on just two hits and two walks in seven frames. Matt Lindstrom (0-1) took the loss after allowing the go-ahead run in the eighth inning.
"You give up two runs, you should win. It's that simple," said Colorado manager Jim Tracy.
Chris Iannetta's homer accounted for the lone Rockies run in their 12th loss in 16 games. Colorado took a one-run lead on his two-out home run in the fifth inning.
But the Giants tied the game in the sixth on Sanchez's single. Torres had worked a two-out walk and moved to third on Miguel Tejada's single, which ended Hammel's no-hit bid. Sanchez followed with a line-drive up the middle that allowed Torres to jog home.
Lindstrom walked pinch-hitter Pat Burrell to start the eighth inning. Manny Burriss entered to pinch-run for Burrell, advancing to second on a sacrifice bunt by Vogelsong and moving to third on a passed ball. Torres' single to center brought home Burriss and gave the Giants their 2-1 lead.
Wilson fanned Seth Smith and Carlos Gonzalez in the ninth before Troy Tulowitzki hit a weak grounder to short that ended the game.
The Giants have now won seven of their 11 meetings with the Rockies this season...They improved to 6-2 in Vogelsong's eight starts this year...Colorado went 0-for-2 with runners in scoring position and left three men on base.
- COLORADO: 1
SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Jun 5 6:21 PM
- Andres Torres single to center scored Emmanuel Burriss with one out. Runner on first with one out and Miguel Tejada due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 2 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 5 6:10 PM
- Freddy Sanchez single to center scored Andres Torres with two out. On the play, Miguel Tejada advances to second. Runners on first and second and Aubrey Huff due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 5 5:37 PM
- Chris Iannetta two-out, solo Home Run (8) to left center. Jason Hammel due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 5 5:09 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 5 4:07 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21