Vogelsong, Whiteside help Giants halt Twins' win streak at 8Jun 23, 2011 - 5:52 AM
Vogelsong (5-1) yielded only four hits while fanning three and walking one to earn the win for the Giants.
Eli Whiteside led the Giants' attack, going 2-for-4 with a two-run triple and an RBI single.
Aubrey Huff added an RBI single for San Francisco, which snapped a five-game losing streak.
Nick Blackburn (6-5) went six innings in a losing effort, giving up three runs -- two earned -- on four hits while striking out four and walking three.
Michael Cuddyer had a pair of hits for Minnesota, which saw its season high eight-game winning streak come to an end.
San Francisco opened the scoring in the second inning, plating a pair of runs. Cody Ross led off with a single to center and Brandon Crawford reached on an error by Alexi Casilla to put runners on first and second with one out. Whiteside made the Twins pay for their error by blasting a triple deep to center to plate both runners and give the Giants an early 2-0 lead.
The Giants added another run in the sixth. Nate Schierholtz ripped a double to right and scored on an RBI single to left by Whiteside to extend the Giants lead to 3-0.
Minnesota got on the board in the seventh. Cuddyer and Delmon Young hit back- to-back singles to put men on the corners. Vogelsong battled back to fan Danny Valencia and Luke Hughes, and almost came away unscathed. Tsuyoshi Nishioka cued a ground ball to Crawford at shortstop, the ball glanced off the heel of the glove and into center field, allowing Cuddyer to score the Twins' lone run of the game.
The Giants extended their lead to 4-1 in their half of the seventh on an RBI single by Huff.
San Francisco tacked on another run in the eighth when pinch-runner Andres Torres scored on an error by Nishioka.
San Francisco and Minnesota are both 4-4 in interleague play this season....Minnesota is 4-27 when the opponent scores the first run...The Twins are 4-7 in games played on Wednesday...The Giants are 20-13 at home in 2011.
- MINNESOTA: 1
SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Jun 23 1:14 AM
- Emmanuel Burriss reached first on Tsuyoshi Nishioka's fielding error, scoring Andres Torres with two out. Runner on first and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Twins 1, Giants 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 23 1:03 AM
- Aubrey Huff single to left scored Emmanuel Burriss with one out. Runner on first and Cody Ross due up.
Twins 1, Giants 4 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 23 12:39 AM
- Tsuyoshi Nishioka reached first on Brandon Crawford's fielding error, scoring Michael Cuddyer with two out. On the play, Delmon Young advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Nick Blackburn due up.
Twins 1, Giants 3 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 23 12:39 AM
- Eli Whiteside single to left scored Nate Schierholtz with one out. On the play, Brandon Crawford advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Ryan Vogelsong due up.
Twins 0, Giants 3 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 23 12:03 AM
- Eli Whiteside triple to center scored Cody Ross and Brandon Crawford with one out. Runner on third and Ryan Vogelsong due up.
Twins 0, Giants 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 22 10:48 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 22 10:16 PM
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22