Giants take rubber match from TwinsJun 24, 2011 - 1:13 AM
Lincecum (6-6) allowed just three hits and two walks while fanning 12 en route to his first win since May 27.
"I wasn't worried about what would happen when I throw my pitches," Lincecum admitted. "Early in the game, when I was commanding my pitches in the zone, I just opened up my mind to allow myself to become that much more confident."
Miguel Tejada and Cody Ross drove in a run each for the Giants, who took the final two games in the series following a five-game losing skid.
Michael Cuddyer finished 3-for-4 with two doubles and drove in the lone run for the Twins, who have lost two straight after winning eight in a row.
Brian Duensing (4-7) was the hard-luck loser, charged with six hits and one run with five strikeouts and a pair of walks over 6 2/3 frames.
This was just a very good pitching matchup," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "They just pitched a little better. That's the Duensing we were looking for. He was consistent and has good stuff."
Ahead by a slim 1-0 margin, San Francisco wasted a bases-loaded situation in the seventh when Bill Hall flied out, but tacked on an insurance run in the eighth when Aubrey Huff stroked a leadoff double and came in when Ross followed with a base hit.
It was needed, as closer Brian Wilson looked shaky to start the ninth, walking Alexi Casilla and serving up an RBI double from Cuddyer. However, the bearded hurler settled down to retire the next two batters and see Cuddyer tagged out in a rundown to earn his 21st save.
The Giants gave Lincecum all the support he needed in the second inning, as Pablo Sandoval singled with one out, moved to third on a Pat Burrell double and scored on a Tejada groundout.
Hall also short-circuited a bases-loaded situation in the fifth when he grounded into a fielder's choice.
San Francisco has won four of the last six meetings with Minnesota dating back to their last matchup in 2005...Lincecum posted his fourth game of 10-or-more strikeouts this season, and his first since punching out 12 batters on May 4 against the New York Mets...Minnesota batters struck out 14 times in the contest.
- MINNESOTA: 1
SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Jun 23 6:10 PM
- Michael Cuddyer double to left center scored Alexi Casilla with none out. Runner on second and Delmon Young due up.
Twins 1, Giants 2 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 23 6:06 PM
- Cody Ross single to center scored Aubrey Huff with none out. Runner on first and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Twins 0, Giants 2 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 23 5:57 PM
- Miguel Tejada grounded out short to first scoring Pablo Sandoval with two out. On the play, Pat Burrell advances to third. Runner on third and Chris Stewart due up.
Twins 0, Giants 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 23 4:11 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 23 3:48 PM
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22