Vogelsong pitches Giants past RockiesSep 27, 2011 - 6:34 AM
Vogelsong (13-7) made 28 starts in his unlikely All-Star campaign after spending four seasons out of the big leagues. He even singled and scored on Mike Fontenot's two-run triple in the third.
"I'm not as taxed innings wise for being 34 years old," said Vogelsong, who was a middle reliever with the Pirates in 2005-06.
The Giants, who were eliminated from postseason contention over the weekend, snapped a four-game slide.
Jhoulys Chacin (11-14) took the loss after allowing two runs on eight hits in seven innings for the Rockies, who were coming off a four-game split in Houston.
"If he's able to do what he did tonight, he's a 200-inning guy and potentially a big-time winner," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said of Chacin.
Vogelsong reached on a two-out base hit in the third and Andres Torres walked prior to Fontenot tripling over Dexter Fowler's head in center.
Colorado, coming off a club-record 25 hits in Sunday's 19-3 win over Houston, only managed one run Monday on Mark Ellis' RBI single in the eighth.
Brett Pill got the run back in the bottom half with a sacrifice fly, and Santiago Casilla recorded the final two outs to earn his sixth save.
Chacin lost his final four starts...The Giants have won six straight meetings...Ellis' run-scoring single ended Sergio Romo 21 2/3 scoreless inning streak.
- COLORADO: 1
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Sep 27 12:48 AM
- Brett Pill sacrifice fly to center scored Mike Fontenot with two outs. On the play, Carlos Beltran advances to third. Runner on third and Justin Christian due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 27 12:37 AM
- Mark Ellis single to right scored Wilin Rosario with two outs. On the play, Eric Young Jr. advances to third. Runners on first and third and Dexter Fowler due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 2 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 27 12:22 AM
- Mike Fontenot triple to center scored Ryan Vogelsong and Andres Torres with two outs. Runner on third and Carlos Beltran due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 26 11:03 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 26 10:16 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21