Giants blank RockiesSep 28, 2011 - 6:49 AM
Bumgarner (13-13) struck out nine and did not issue a walk to end his .500 campaign on a winning note.
"It's good to play well this last series," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy. "We're out of it but the guys continue to play well and they're trying to reciprocate their appreciation to the fans."
Conor Gillaspie added a two-run, inside-the-park homer for San Francisco, which won the opener of the set, 3-1.
Alex White (2-4) surrendered three runs on six hits in a four-inning start for Colorado, which has lost 11 of its last 13.
"Any time a manager is walking out there in the third or fourth inning of a game, or after four innings you don't see a starter return, the chances of winning that game are not too good," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said.
The only two hits the Rockies managed off Bumgarner came in the second, as Kevin Kouzmanoff led off with a double and moved to third on Jordan Pacheco's single. Bumgarner settled though, striking out the side to escape the jam.
Andres Torres led off the home first with a walk, moved to second and third on a pair of wild pitches and scored on Mike Fontenot's sacrifice fly.
Belt's two-run shot into McCovey Cove in the fourth added to the lead, and the Giants pushed two more across against Esmil Rogers in the sixth. Belt led off the frame with a walk and scored on a triple by Brandon Crawford, who eventually crossed the plate on a wild pitch.
Gillaspie raced around for an inside-the-parker an inning later despite tripping over third base, and Ramon Ramirez and Barry Zito each hurled a scoreless inning of relief to preserve the shutout.
Bumgarner eclipsed the 200-inning plateau in his first full season in the big leagues...The Giants went 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position...The Rockies did not have a runner reach past first base after the second frame...Gillaspie's homer was the first of his career.
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 7
Sep 28 1:06 AM
- Wilin Rosario grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Thomas Field due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 7 Top 8, 1 OutSep 28 12:46 AM
- Esmil Rogers wild pitch scored Brandon Crawford with two outs. None on and Andres Torres at the plate.
Rockies 0, Giants 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 28 12:23 AM
- Brandon Crawford triple to right scored Brandon Belt with none out. Runner on third and Eli Whiteside due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 28 12:17 AM
- Eli Whiteside flied out to left. Runner on second with one out and Madison Bumgarner due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 3 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 27 11:31 PM
- Mike Fontenot sacrifice fly to left scored Andres Torres with one out. None on and Carlos Beltran due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 27 10:27 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 27 10:16 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21