Dodgers hand Diamondbacks another one-run lossMay 14, 2011 - 5:59 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Matt Kemp had two hits and an RBI to help lift Los Angeles over Arizona, 4-3, in the opener of a three-game series.
Andre Ethier had a run-scoring single and Rod Barajas added a home run to give the Dodgers their third straight victory.
Clayton Kershaw (5-3) pitched seven scoreless innings, allowing three hits and walking two while striking out 11. He retired 14 batters in a row after walking Xavier Nady with one out in the third inning.
"After the first two innings I settled down. Rod (Barajas) and I were on the same page all night. I didn't have to call him off at all," said Kershaw.
Joe Saunders (0-5) went 6 2/3 innings, allowing four runs -- three earned -- on six hits and four walks in the D-Backs' fifth consecutive one-run defeat.
Barajas hit a solo shot in the fifth to give the Dodgers the lead.
Los Angeles added another run in the sixth on a Kemp double that brought home Jamey Carroll. Carroll led off the inning with a single and moved to third on a single by Aaron Miles.
Saunders was forced from the game in the seventh after allowing a run with two outs because of a Stephen Drew throwing error. After Carroll walked, Miles hit a grounder to short that Drew had to run to his right to grab. When he got the ball, he made a jumping throw to second, but no one was covering the bag. The ball rolled all the way to the stands and allowed Carroll to score and Miles to reach third.
"My change was good and my sinker was good. I just made a couple of mistakes and we just came up short tonight," said Saunders.
Joe Paterson then entered the game for Arizona and got Ethier to ground to Drew as well, but his throw to first was off-line and Ethier was safe. It was ruled an infield single and Miles crossed the plate to give the Dodgers a 4-0 lead.
Xavier Nady singled to score Chris Young off of reliever Matt Guerrier in the eighth inning to put the D-Backs on the board. Young hit a one-out single and then stole second before coming home.
Vicente Padilla came in to pitch the ninth and walked Justin Upton to lead off the inning, then allowed a single to Kelly Johnson. Gerardo Parra followed with a dribbler to first base that put men on second and third with one out. Then pinch-hitter Miguel Montero singled to center to bring both men home and make it a one-run game. Padilla struck out pinch-hitter Russell Branyan before walking Young and being pulled from the game.
Kenley Jansen entered in relief of Padilla and struck out Melvin Mora to end the game and receive his first save of the year.
Los Angeles called up shortstop Juan Castro from Albuquerque, optioned second baseman Ivan De Jesus to Albuquerque, and transferred catcher Hector Gimenez from the 15-day to the 60-day disabled list on Friday...Padilla threw 32 pitches in the ninth before leaving with two outs...Ethier has reached base in 36 consecutive games.
- ARIZONA: 3
LOS ANGELES: 4
May 14 1:10 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Miguel Montero singled to center scored Justin Upton and Kelly Johnson. Runner on first with one out and Juan Gutierrez due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 4 Top 9, 1 OutMay 14 12:56 AM
- Xavier Nady singled to right scored Chris Young. Runner on first with two outs and Stephen Drew due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Dodgers 4 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 14 12:35 AM
- Andre Ethier infield single to short scored Aaron Miles. Runner on first with two outs and Matt Kemp due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Dodgers 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 14 12:17 AM
- Aaron Miles infield single to short. On the play, Jamey Carroll scored on Stephen Drew's throwing error. Runner on third with two outs and Andre Ethier due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Dodgers 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 14 12:15 AM
- Matt Kemp doubled to right center scored Jamey Carroll. On the play, Aaron Miles advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Juan Uribe due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Dodgers 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 13 11:53 PM
- Rod Barajas one-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Jerry Sands due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 13 11:35 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 13 10:11 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21