Kemp, Kuroda lift Dodgers over BrewersMay 18, 2011 - 6:22 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Matt Kemp hit a two-run homer to back Hiroki Kuroda's quality start, as the Dodgers snapped their losing streak with a 3-0 victory over the Brewers.
Kuroda (5-3) allowed only six hits and two walks in 7 2/3 innings, and struck out seven. The right-hander had tossed seven scoreless frames in his last start, Wednesday against the Pirates.
The effort helped Los Angeles snap its three-game slide, which included a 2-1 loss to Milwaukee in Monday's opener of this two-game set. The Dodgers had scored just twice during the skid.
Randy Wolf (3-4) allowed two runs in 5 1/3 innings for the Brewers, who had won four in a row.
"It was a battle for Randy," said Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke. "He was getting behind in counts. He kept us in the game."
Kemp put the Dodgers on the board in the first inning, after Andre Ethier walked with two outs. On a 3-1 count, Wolf threw a fastball up and over the plate, and Kemp didn't miss, strong-arming it the opposite way for his eighth homer of the season.
"I tried to hit it hard," Kemp said. "I was pretty sure I got that one."
The Brewers had some scoring chances against Kuroda, but they didn't take advantage, going 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranding eight.
Milwaukee left runners on the corners in the first and third innings, and had two on in the fourth before Carlos Gomez grounded into an inning-ending double play.
Rickie Weeks opened the eighth with a base hit and moved to second on a balk, but Kuroda retired the next two batters before being lifted. Kenley Jansen came in and walked Prince Fielder before getting Casey McGehee to foul out.
Jerry Sands hit an RBI double in the home half, and Matt Guerrier worked a 1-2-3 ninth for his first save of the season.
Wolf allowed five hits, walked four and struck out two. He threw 119 pitches, 72 for strikes...Aaron Miles and Juan Uribe both had two hits for LA...Guerrier has six saves in 414 career games.
- MILWAUKEE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 3
May 18 1:21 AM
- Jerry Sands double to right center scored Juan Uribe with two outs. Runner on second and Kenley Jansen due up.
Brewers 0, Dodgers 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 18 1:12 AM
- Matt Kemp two-out, two-run Home Run (8) to right scored Andre Ethier. Juan Uribe due up.
Brewers 0, Dodgers 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 17 10:31 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 17 10:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22