Diamondbacks hold off DodgersJul 17, 2011 - 4:05 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Brandon Allen belted a three-run homer to lead the Arizona Diamondbacks to a 3-2 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the middle contest of a three-game set.
Ian Kennedy (10-3) allowed two runs on five hits and three walks while fanning seven over seven innings.
David Hernandez worked a perfect ninth to record his eighth save of the season, as the Diamondbacks halted a three-game skid.
Hiroki Kuroda (6-11) yielded three runs on five hits while striking out seven over six innings to suffer the loss.
Matt Kemp hit his second homer in as many nights for the Dodgers, who saw their season-high five-game win streak come to an end.
Kemp spotted the Dodgers an early lead with a leadoff shot in the second.
Not to be outdone, Allen, who was recalled from the minors on Friday, belted a three-run homer a half-inning later to put the Diamondbacks on top.
The emphatic blast to deep right plated Miguel Montero and Geoff Blum, who reached on a single and double, respectively.
The Dodgers answered in the fifth, loading the bases with two down thanks to walks by Aaron Miles and Tony Gwynn and a single by Dioner Navarro.
Kennedy walked Rafael Furcal to force a run home and appeared flustered, but pitching coach Charles Nagy paid the hurler a calming visit and Kennedy responded, forcing Andre Ethier into an inning ending pop out.
"We couldn't get them in when we had a chance," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "[Kennedy] walked three guys in that inning. We have a chance right there, if we just click a hit there."
The decisive home run proved vindicating for Allen, who went down looking with runners on the corners to end Friday's 6-4 series-opening loss.
"He got a good pitch in a good situation," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said of Allen. "It was the difference for us today and welcome. We needed that. We're not swinging the bats very well at all and we were pretty much shut down the rest of the game."
The Diamondbacks are 19-12 in one-run games thus far...Kennedy's 10 wins on the season mark a career high...Kemp has hit 24 of the Dodgers 66 home runs this season.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
Jul 16 10:39 PM
- Rafael Furcal walk scored Aaron Miles. Bases loaded with two outs and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 2, Diamondbacks 3 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 16 9:32 PM
- Brandon Allen none-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Miguel Montero and Geoff Blum. Gerardo Parra due up.
Dodgers 1, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 2, 0 OutsJul 16 8:41 PM
- Aaron Miles struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 16 8:32 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 16 8:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21