Eovaldi wins MLB debut, Dodgers edge DiamondbacksAug 7, 2011 - 4:49 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Nathan Eovaldi pitched five solid innings in his major league debut to lead the Los Angeles Dodgers to a 5-3 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks in the middle test of a three-game set at Chase Field.
Eovaldi (1-0), a 21-year-old right-hander, gave up two runs on four hits while striking out seven and walking two.
"I felt really good and comfortable after that first strike," Eovaldi said. "I was getting ahead of the batter and I felt confident."
Rod Barajas went 3-for-4 with two RBI, Andre Ethier picked up two hits and Juan Rivera added a double for the Dodgers, who have won four of their last five contests.
Joe Saunders (8-9) gave up four runs on eight hits while fanning four and walking one in 5 1/3 innings. He also helped own cause at the plate by going 2-for-2 with a pair of RBI but took the loss nonetheless.
"I just tried to put the bat on the ball and find a hole," Saunders said of his offensive effectiveness. "He throws pretty hard, so I just tried to get the head out and good things happened."
Justin Upton added an RBI double for the Diamondbacks, who have lost the first two games of this series and salted away a chance to move into first place in the NL West as a result of the San Francisco Giants' loss to the Philadelphia Phillies earlier in the day. The D-Backs remain a half-game behind San Francisco.
Los Angeles plated two runs in the sixth to take the lead for good at 4-2. Ethier led off the inning with a single and advanced to second two batters later on a groundout by Rivera. Ethier then came around to score on a single by Aaron Miles. Brad Ziegler, who was acquired from the Oakland Athletics at the trade deadline, entered the game with runners on the corners and one out. Barajas greeted Ziegler with an RBI single up the middle to plate the Dodgers' second run of the frame.
Casey Blake walked and Ethier cued a seeing-eye single to left center to start the Dodger seventh. Blake advanced to third on a flyout by Matt Kemp and scored on a fielder's choice by Rivera to extend the lead to 5-2.
Arizona got a run back in the eighth on a two-out RBI double by Upton to make it a 5-3 contest. Chris Young then came up as the tying run and blasted a ball deep to left, sending the crowd into a frenzy, but he didn't quite get all of it, as the ball landed in the glove of Tony Gwynn Jr. to end the inning.
The D-Backs mounted a threat in the ninth. Ryan Roberts ripped a one-out double into the gap in right-center and advanced to third on a wild pitch by Dodgers reliever Scott Elbert. Paul Goldschmidt grounded out to third and Gerardo Parra grounded out to first to seal the win and give Elbert his second save.
Earlier, Kemp led off the Dodger second inning with a single to left, but was thrown out stealing second. Rivera then ripped a double to right and scored on a single up the middle by Barajas.
The Diamondbacks took a 2-1 lead in the second inning. After the first two hitters of the inning made outs, Roberts walked, Goldschmidt singled to left and Parra walked to load the bases. Saunders then helped his own cause by poking a two-run single to right.
The Dodgers knotted the game at two in the next inning. Eovaldi and Dee Gordon hit back-to-back singles and Blake dropped down a sacrifice bunt to give Los Angeles runners on second and third with one down. Eovaldi then trotted home on an RBI groundout by Ethier.
Upton has hit safely in 16 of his last 17 games...The Dodgers are 4-1 on their current six-game road trip...Eovaldi is the sixth Dodger this season to make his major league debut...The Dodgers are 24-23 against the National League West, while Arizona is 22-21 against its own division.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Aug 6 11:19 PM
- Chris Young flied out to left to end the inning.
Dodgers 5, Diamondbacks 3 End 8Aug 6 11:02 PM
- Juan Rivera grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Casey Blake with two out. Andre Ethier out at second. Runner on first and Aaron Miles due up.
Dodgers 5, Diamondbacks 2 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 6 10:25 PM
- Rod Barajas single to center scored Juan Rivera with one out. On the play, Aaron Miles advances to second. Runners on first and second and Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Dodgers 4, Diamondbacks 2 Top 6, 1 OutAug 6 10:00 PM
- Andre Ethier grounded out second to first scoring Nathan Eovaldi with two out. On the play, Dee Gordon advances to third. Runner on third and Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 2, Diamondbacks 2 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 6 9:01 PM
- Nathan Eovaldi singled to right. Runner on first with none out and Dee Gordon due up.
Dodgers 1, Diamondbacks 2 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 6 8:56 PM
- Miguel Montero struck out swinging on a foul tip. None on with two outs and Ryan Roberts due up.
Dodgers 1, Diamondbacks 0 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 6 8:43 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 6 8:11 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21