Ransom propels Diamondbacks past DodgersAug 8, 2011 - 12:03 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Cody Ransom cracked a two-run home run in the bottom of the seventh inning to lead the Arizona Diamondbacks past the Los Angeles Dodgers, 4-3, in the finale of a three-game series at Chase Field.
Kelly Johnson smacked a two-run homer and Chris Young chipped in with a hit for the Diamondbacks, who snapped their three-game losing streak.
Ian Kennedy (14-3) tossed seven innings, giving up three runs on six hits while fanning three and walking one. J.J. Putz worked a 1-2-3 ninth to earn his 26th save of the season.
"I just try to throw a quality game when I go out there," Kennedy said. "I made some pitches where I left some balls up and they got some hits off me. I just tried to let my team pick me up today and they really did."
The win kept the D-Backs within a half-game of the San Francisco Giants for first place in the National League West.
James Loney smacked a solo home run and Andre Ethier clubbed an RBI double, while Juan Rivera added an RBI single for the Dodgers.
Clayton Kershaw (13-5) worked 6 1/3 innings, giving up four runs on five hits while fanning seven and walking three.
Arizona took the lead for good in the seventh after Collin Cowgill slapped a one-out single into left and Ransom followed by belting Kershaw's 1-1 offering into the left field bleachers for his first home run of the season.
"He got that one a little out over the plate," Ramson said of his home run pitch. "It didn't cut as much as his other pitches."
The D-Backs had a chance to extend their lead further when pinch-hitter Sean Burroughs doubled to give Arizona a runner in scoring position with one out. Kershaw was removed in favor of Josh Lindblom, who calmly got Ryan Roberts to ground out and Johnson to fly out to limit the damage.
Earlier, the D-Backs opened the scoring in their first at-bat when Johnson followed Roberts' leadoff walk with a two-run homer deep into the seats in right-center to give Arizona the early lead. It was Johnson's 18th homer of the season.
Los Angeles cut the deficit in half in the fifth courtesy of a leadoff home run from Loney, his fifth of the season.
Aaron Miles ripped a one-out single in the Dodger sixth and scored on a double by Ethier to knot the game at two. After Matt Kemp grounded out, Rivera smacked an RBI single up the middle to score Ethier and give the Dodgers a 3-2 advantage.
"We had a chance to have a great trip and we ended up having a good trip," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said of his team's 4-2 six-game road swing. "At this point, I don't think we're at a point where we can look at trips, we're trying to win every game."
Despite going hitless Sunday, Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton has reached base safely in 16 of his last 18 games...Arizona is 18-18 when wearing its red home uniforms...The Diamondbacks are 9-42 when they trail after six innings, and are 49-3 when leading after seven frames...Los Angeles is 24-24 against the NL West, while Arizona is 23-21 against the division.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
Aug 7 6:37 PM
- Sean Burroughs is pinch-hitting for Ian Kennedy.
Dodgers 3, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 7 6:10 PM
- Chris Young popped out to first to end the inning.
Dodgers 3, Diamondbacks 2 End 6Aug 7 5:54 PM
- James Loney lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Dioner Navarro due up.
Dodgers 1, Diamondbacks 2 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 7 5:26 PM
- Kelly Johnson none-out, two-run Home Run (18) to right center scored Ryan Roberts. Justin Upton due up.
Dodgers 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 7 4:27 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Aug 7 4:13 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21