Diamondbacks sweep GiantsSep 26, 2011 - 12:43 AM
Josh Collmenter (10-10) gave up two runs on five hits with a walk and four strikeouts over seven innings for the Diamondbacks, who have won four straight. Geoff Blum, Aaron Hill and Collin Cowgill all drove in a run.
Going into its final series of the season at home against Los Angeles, Arizona is one game behind Milwaukee for the second best record in the National League.
"Our intentions are to try and win out," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said. "Wherever we go to play on Saturday is fine."
Tim Lincecum (13-14) finished a disappointing season with his second loss in as many starts after giving up five runs on eight hits in just five innings. Andres Torres and Carlos Beltran both hit solo homers for the Giants, who have lost four straight.
"I have a lot of things I need to do, throw more strikes less walks," Lincecum said of what he need to improve on for 2012. "I have to make better quality pitches."
In the first, Hill walked and Justin Upton was hit by a pitch before Montero punched a double to right-center for a 2-0 lead.
The Diamondbacks made it 3-0 in the fourth as Paul Goldschmidt led off with a double and came home later in the frame on a Cowgill double.
It was 5-0 after the fifth inning as Hill hit a ground-rule, RBI double and came home later in the frame on a Blum groundout.
Solo homers from Torres and Beltran in the sixth made it a 5-2 game.
J.J. Putz worked around two-out double in the ninth to pick up his 45th save of the season.
Arizona is 50-28 at home this season...The Giants finished with a mark of 40-41 on the road and close out their season with a three-game set against Colorado...Each team won nine games in the season series...Lincecum fell to 7-5 against Arizona in his career.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Sep 25 6:38 PM
- Pablo Sandoval grounded out second to first. None on with two outs and Brett Pill due up.
Giants 2, Diamondbacks 5 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 25 5:43 PM
- Geoff Blum grounded out to first, scoring Aaron Hill with two outs. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to second and Cole Gillespie advances to third. Runners on second and third and Collin Cowgill due up.
Giants 0, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 25 5:35 PM
- Aaron Hill ground-rule double to left scored Gerardo Parra.. Runner on second with none out and Cole Gillespie due up.
Giants 0, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 25 5:27 PM
- Collin Cowgill double to right scored Paul Goldschmidt with one out. Runner on second and John McDonald due up.
Giants 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 25 5:08 PM
- Miguel Montero double to right center scored Aaron Hill and Justin Upton with one out. Runner on second and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Giants 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 25 4:24 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 25 4:13 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21