Fielder, Braun provide offense as Brewers blank AstrosApr 30, 2011 - 11:52 AM
Shaun Marcum (3-1) pitched seven scoreless innings, allowing three hits and two walks while striking out six to give the Brewers their sixth win in their last 10 games.
"His location was great as he was down in the zone most of the day," said Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke about Marcum. "He had all his pitches working and it showed."
Brett Myers (1-1) went six innings, allowing four runs on five hits and three walks while fanning eight in Houston's third straight loss.
"He did a great job of mixing his pitches and had really good command out there tonight, he was tough to get anything going against," said Houston manager Brad Mills about Marcum.
Braun hit a two-out, solo home run and Fielder followed with an upper-deck bomb that traveled 450 feet to give the Brewers an early two-run lead in the first.
Fielder's double in the third scored Carlos Gomez to give Milwaukee a three- run advantage.
Yuniesky Betancourt added another homer in the fourth for the Brewers, and they added another run in the seventh when Braun singled to score Gomez, after Gomez reached first on a fielder's choice and then stole second.
Houston had runners on second base in the first, second, fourth, and fifth innings but failed to bring a run home, or even have a runner reach third.
Mitch Stetter and Brandon Kintzler combined to pitch two scoreless innings in relief for the Brewers to complete the shutout.
Fielder set a Brewers team record with 25 RBI in the month of April...Astros first baseman Brett Wallace extended his career-long hitting streak to nine games, but left the game with a right hip contusion and is day-to- day...Michael Bourn stole two bases in the game and is now 11-for-11 in stolen base attempts this season and has swiped 19 straight without being caught.
- MILWAUKEE: 5
Apr 29 10:45 PM
- Ryan Braun single to left scored Carlos Gomez with two out. Runner on first and Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 5, Astros 0 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 29 10:07 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt one-out, solo Home Run (1) to center. Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 4, Astros 0 Top 4, 1 OutApr 29 9:06 PM
- Prince Fielder double to right scored Carlos Gomez with two out. Runner on second and Casey McGehee due up.
Brewers 3, Astros 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 29 8:57 PM
- Prince Fielder two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Casey McGehee due up.
Brewers 2, Astros 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 29 8:13 PM
- Ryan Braun two-out, solo Home Run (10) to center. Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 29 8:12 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 29 8:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21