Soriano homers, Cubs top D-BacksApr 5, 2011 - 12:14 AM
Geovany Soto had a pair of doubles, a run batted in and a run scored, while Carlos Pena added a sacrifice fly for the Cubs, who dropped two of three to Pittsburgh over the weekend.
Randy Wells (1-0) picked up the win in six innings, allowing one run on six hits with four walks and six strikeouts. The right-hander finished 8-14 with a 4.26 ERA in 32 starts a season ago.
"Obviously it was a little sloppy," Wells said about his outing. "I was able to make pitches when I needed to and got away with a couple, but all in all I felt pretty good."
Carlos Marmol, who was charged with a blown save and took the loss in Sunday's 5-4 setback, recovered to lock this one down with a scoreless ninth.
Willie Bloomquist accounted for the offense with a homer for Arizona, which split the first two games of the season against the Rockies. Sunday's game at Colorado was postponed due to a mix of rain and snow.
Joe Saunders (0-1) was tagged with the loss for yielding two runs on five hits over six innings. He struck and three and walked three. The 29-year-old went 3-7 with a 4.25 earned run average in 13 starts for Arizona last year after being acquired from the Angels in July.
Bloomquist led off the game with a homer into the left-field bleachers and it stayed a 1-0 game until Soriano began the third with a shot into the stands in left.
"It is nice to start out 1-0 right way, but it's a nine-inning game. You have to keep playing for nine innings," Bloomquist said.
Chicago was able to push a run across in the fourth to grab a 2-1 advantage. Back-to-back one-out singles by Marlon Byrd and Aramis Ramirez, followed by a walk to Soto loaded the bases before Pena's sac fly to right brought in the go-ahead run.
The Diamondbacks stranded runners in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings, then loaded the bases off right-hander Kerry Wood with one away in the eighth.
An error and base hit put the first two men on and a weak grounder back to the mound moved the runners up a base. Miguel Montero was walked intentionally to load the bases before Wood settled down to strike out Ryan Roberts looking and got Gerardo Parra to fly out to left.
The Cubs tacked on a pair of insurance runs in the home eighth to go ahead 4-1. Back-to-back doubles off the left-field wall by Ramirez and Soto knocked in one and later in the inning Soriano slapped a run-scoring base hit through the right side.
Marmol came in for the ninth and walked pinch-hitter Stephen Drew leading off, then got Bloomquist to bounce into a force out. Kelly Johnson went down on strikes and Justin Upton flied out to left to end the game.
Drew, the Diamondbacks starting shortstop is slowed by a lower abdominal strain...The Cubs have won seven straight against Arizona.
- ARIZONA: 1
Apr 4 5:12 PM
- Alfonso Soriano single to right scored Geovany Soto. Runner on first with two outs and Kerry Wood due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Cubs 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 4 5:00 PM
- Geovany Soto double to left scored Aramis Ramirez. Runner on second with one out and Carlos Pena due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Cubs 3 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 4 4:54 PM
- Geovany Soto advances to second and Aramis Ramirez advances to third on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third with two outs and Alfonso Soriano at the plate.
Diamondbacks 1, Cubs 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 4 3:25 PM
- Alfonso Soriano lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Kosuke Fukudome due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Cubs 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsApr 4 2:59 PM
- Willie Bloomquist lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Kelly Johnson due up.
Apr 4 2:24 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21