Cubs hold on against DiamondbacksApr 5, 2011 - 11:55 PM
Marlon Byrd went 3-for-4 with a run-scoring double in the bottom of the seventh inning for the Cubs, who took the first game of the series on Monday and have won three of their last four.
Andrew Cashner, making his first big-league start, allowed one run on two hits and one walk, and struck out two before leaving after 5 1/3 innings with tightness in his pitching shoulder. He did not factor in the decision.
The 19th pick of the 2008 draft out of Texas Christian University, reached the majors last season and pitched exclusively out of the bullpen -- going 2-6 with a 4.80 earned run average in 54 1/3 innings across 53 appearances.
Willie Bloomquist had a two-run single in the top of the seventh, while Ryan Roberts hit a solo homer for Arizona, which has lost three straight. Starter Barry Enright worked six innings, yielding four runs on seven hits, but did not figure in the decision.
"It's frustrating, but thought I had a pretty good game plan," Enright said about his outing.
After Arizona tied the game with three runs in the top of the seventh, Sam Demel (0-1) replaced Enright in the bottom half and served up a pair of singles that put runners on the corners with one out. Byrd then laced an RBI double down the left-field line and an intentional walk to Aramis Ramirez loaded the bases. Joe Paterson took over on the mound and walked Colvin to force in a run, putting the Cubs in front 6-4.
"Enright, he was a bulldog out there," Byrd said. "He lasted a lot longer than we wanted him to. We got the runs when we had to."
Juan Gutierrez came on for Paterson and escaped further damage. James Russell (1-0), who worked two-thirds of an inning in the seventh stayed on and pitched a scoreless eighth.
Sean Marshall filling in for normal Cubs closer Carlos Marmol, gave up a bunt single to Juan Miranda leading off the ninth and two batters later, pinch- hitter Melvin Mora slapped a base hit to right, putting runners on the corners.
Pinch-hitter Xavier Nady plated a run with a groundout and moved Mora into scoring position, but the left-hander fanned Bloomquist to end the game. It was Marshall's first save of the season and third of his career.
Chicago opened the scoring with a pair of runs in the second. A throwing error by catcher Miguel Montero allowed a run to score and Castro's double to center brought in another.
Roberts led off the third with a homer to left. However, in the home half, Colvin launched a two-run shot just over the basket in right-center to give the Cubs a 4-1 lead.
Cashner was sailing along and after walking Bloomquist with one out in the sixth, exited with the shoulder issue. Jeff Samardzija took over and struck out the two batters he faced.
Samardzija then walked a pair in the seventh and was replaced by Marcos Mateo, who issued a free pass to Roberts that loaded the bases and Gerardo Parra followed with a run-scoring single. Russell was summoned from the bullpen and struck out Russell Branyan swinging before Bloomquist chased in two with a base hit up the middle to tie the game at 4-4.
Colvin was making the start at first base for Carlos Pena, who missed the game with a mild right thumb sprain and is listed as day-to-day...Chicago was 6-1 against the Diamondbacks last season.
- ARIZONA: 5
Apr 5 5:39 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Xavier Nady grounded out pitcher to short to first scoring Ryan Roberts with two out. Runner on second and Willie Bloomquist due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Cubs 6 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 5 5:36 PM
- Tyler Colvin walk scored Starlin Castro with one out. Bases loaded and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Cubs 6 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 5 5:01 PM
- Marlon Byrd doubled to left scoring Jeff Baker with one out. Runners on second and third with Aramis Ramirez due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Cubs 5 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 5 4:56 PM
- Willie Bloomquist singled to center scoring Juan Miranda and Ryan Roberts with two out. Runners on first and second with Kelly Johnson due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Cubs 4 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 5 4:43 PM
- Gerardo Parra singled to right scoring Chris Young with one out. Bases loaded and Barry Enright due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Cubs 4 Top 7, 1 OutApr 5 4:33 PM
- Tyler Colvin one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored Marlon Byrd. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Cubs 4 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 5 3:12 PM
- Ryan Roberts lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Gerardo Parra due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Cubs 2 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 5 3:03 PM
- Willie Bloomquist grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Kelly Johnson due up.
Apr 5 2:23 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21