Cubs use two-run ninth to beat ArizonaMay 1, 2011 - 3:58 AM
Garza (1-3) struck out 10 batters in eight innings and Carlos Marmol worked around a one-out walk in the ninth to earn his seventh save.
After Ryan Roberts drew the walk to bring the tying run to the plate, Russell Branyan drove a fastball all the way to the centerfield warning track for the second out. Castro then scurried up the middle to field Miguel Montero's grounder, getting him by a step at first base to end the game.
Alfonso Soriano homered and knocked in two runs for the Cubs, who have won the last two games of this four-game series after dropping four in a row.
Their go-ahead rally in the ninth came against J.J. Putz (0-1). Barney's base hit scored Geovany Soto and Castro singled under Putz's glove and into center, scoring Kosuke Fukudome to make it 5-3.
The Diamondbacks had a chance to escape the inning, but shortstop Stephen Drew double-cluched while trying to turn a double play and Fukudome beat the throw to first.
"We had a chance to end it right there," said Arizona manager Kirk Gibson. "Fukudome hustled down there and just barely beat it out. The call could have went either way."
The Diamondbacks have lost three of their last four, the only win coming in the first game of this set.
Arizona starter Ian Kennedy, after pitching his first career shutout Monday to beat the Phillies, didn't factor in this decision. He yielded three runs on six hits and a walk, striking out six.
Garza, who was acquired from Tampa Bay in an eight-player trade in January, surrendered six hits and two walks and threw 70 of his 104 pitches for strikes.
"I'm just trying to go deep, just trying to get people out, three pitches or less," said Garza. "When I get in trouble my pitch count rises and I want to stay away from three-ball counts. I still walked two guys and one of them came around to score."
After giving up a two-out run in the first inning -- Justin Upton doubled, then came home on Drew's ground ball single up the middle -- Garza faced the minimum in each of the next four innings.
Meanwhile, Chicago took the lead.
The Cubs tied the game with two outs in the top of the second when Soriano walloped his 10th homer of the season high off the batter's eye in center field. It was his third home run of the series.
Soriano gave the Cubs a 2-1 edge in the fourth with a two-out single to center, scoring Castro after he led off with a double and moved to third on a fly ball.
Yet another two-out run came in the fifth when Aramis Ramirez lined a double down the line and to the left field wall, allowing Barney to score from first base without a throw and giving Chicago a 3-1 lead.
Arizona tied the game with two runs in the sixth. After Chris Young drew a leadoff walk, Gerardo Parra tripled over Soriano's head and off the wall in left field. Drew hit a one-out single to score Parra, making it 3-3.
Garza had 51 strikeouts in April, a new Cubs record...Putz suffered his first loss since August 15, 2010 -- a stretch of 21 games...Chicago manager Mike Quade was ejected in the ninth inning for arguing a force play at second base. He looked at the replay afterward and said he was wrong...The Diamondbacks have scored in the first inning in three straight games. They have 10 runs in those innings after plating a National League-low nine first-inning runs in the first 23 games of the season...Arizona fell to 3-3 on its 10-game homestand.
- CHICAGO: 5
Apr 30 10:51 PM
- Starlin Castro singled to left scoring Kosuke Fukudome. Runners on first and second with two outs and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Cubs 5, Diamondbacks 3 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 30 10:40 PM
- Darwin Barney singled to center scoring Geovany Soto. Runners on first and second with two outs and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 4, Diamondbacks 3 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 30 10:36 PM
- Stephen Drew singled to right scoring Gerardo Parra. On the play, Drew was tagged out at second, right to short. None on with two outs and Ryan Roberts due up.
Cubs 3, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 30 9:48 PM
- Gerardo Parra tripled to left scoring Chris Young. Runner on third with none out and Justin Upton due up.
Cubs 3, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 30 9:44 PM
- Jeff Baker lined out to third to end the inning.
Cubs 3, Diamondbacks 1 Mid 5Apr 30 9:26 PM
- Alfonso Soriano singled to center scoring Starlin Castro. Runner on first with two outs and Marlon Byrd due up.
Cubs 2, Diamondbacks 1 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 30 9:04 PM
- Alfonso Soriano two-out, solo Home Run (10) to center. Marlon Byrd due up.
Cubs 1, Diamondbacks 1 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 30 8:31 PM
- Stephen Drew singled to center scoring Justin Upton. Runner on first with two outs and Ryan Roberts due up.
Cubs 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 30 8:24 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 30 8:10 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21