Braun helps Brewers down CubsAug 27, 2011 - 5:58 AM
Randy Wolf (11-8) allowed two runs -- one earned -- on four hits over 6 2/3 innings. He walked two, struck out three and has won his last five decisions.
"Our starting pitchers have really been keeping us in games," said Braun. "Randy, again tonight, was phenomenal. He did a great job, kept us in it."
George Kottaras hit a home run and Prince Fielder had an RBI single for the Brewers, who have split their last four but have won 25 of their last 30 games overall. They remain 9 1/2 games ahead of the Cardinals for first place in the NL Central.
John Axford allowed two runners to reach base in the ninth, but settled down to earn his 38th save of the season.
Rodrigo Lopez (4-5) gave up four runs -- two earned -- on five hits and four walks over six innings to suffer the loss. He struck out five.
Starlin Castro hit a leadoff home run for the Cubs, who have dropped five of their last six. Aramis Ramirez doubled to extend his hit streak to 15 games.
Castro began the game with a homer to center and Jeff Baker put the Cubs on top, 2-0, with an RBI double in the third. Darwin Barney scored on Baker's liner to deep right after reaching on a Wolf error and stealing second.
Kottaras struck with a two-out, solo shot in the bottom of the fourth and the Brewers grabbed a 4-2 lead an inning later.
Corey Hart led off with a single and Nyjer Morgan reached on a Barney error to place runners at first and second. After a double steal, Braun belted a two- bagger off the top of the wall in right-center to score Hart and Morgan, then crossed the plate himself when Barney's throw sailed past Ramirez at third.
"He made mistakes," Cubs manager Mike Quade said of Barney. "He doesn't make many, but every so often those things happen."
Jeff Samardzija relieved Lopez to begin the home seventh and issued walks to Hart and Braun. Fielder delivered a base hit to left to score Hart, sealing the final margin.
Takashi Saito spelled Wolf with two down in the top of the seventh and stranded a runner at second, while Francisco Rodriguez faced the minimum in the eighth.
In the ninth, Axford allowed a single to Marlon Byrd and issued a two-out walk to Reed Johnson, but grounded out Blake DeWitt to end the game.
The Brewers are 48-16 at Miller Park this season, which marks the best home record in the majors...Wolf has not lost since July 23...Kottaras hit his third home run of the season.
- CHICAGO: 2
Aug 26 11:12 PM
- Prince Fielder single to left scored Corey Hart with one out. On the play, Ryan Braun advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Casey McGehee due up.
Cubs 2, Brewers 5 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 26 10:46 PM
- Ryan Braun double to right scored Corey Hart with none out. On the play, Nyjer Morgan and Ryan Braun scored on Darwin Barney's throwing error. None on and Prince Fielder due up.
Cubs 2, Brewers 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 26 10:39 PM
- George Kottaras two-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Randy Wolf due up.
Cubs 2, Brewers 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 26 9:26 PM
- Jeff Baker double to right scored Darwin Barney with two out. Runner on second and Geovany Soto due up.
Cubs 2, Brewers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 26 9:00 PM
- Darwin Barney grounded out first to pitcher. None on with one out and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 26 8:13 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 26 8:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21