Marcum helps Brewers blank PiratesApr 14, 2011 - 5:53 AM
The opener of the three-game series was to take place on Tuesday, but heavy rain postponed the game, which will be made up as part of a twi-night doubleheader on August 22.
Marcum (2-1) went seven innings and allowed four hits and a walk with four strikeouts and also drove in a run and scored once. Zach Braddock and Kameron Loe combined to pitch the eighth inning while Mitch Stetter put the Pirates down in order in the ninth to finish the shutout.
Prince Fielder hit a three-run home run and Yuniesky Betancourt had an RBI double for the Brewers, who have won three straight and six of seven.
Kevin Correia (2-1) was tagged for six runs -- four earned -- on five hits with two walks over six-plus innings for the Pirates, who have dropped their past three games. Matt Diaz had two hits in the loss.
"My focus is for us to play complete games and finish games," said Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle. "We need to get better in every aspect every day we are out there."
With the game scoreless in the sixth, Milwaukee surged ahead in the frame.
After having just two runners through the first five innings, the Brewers put their first two men on base to start the frame, and Carlos Gomez got the first run across with a sacrifice fly that plated Jonathan Lucroy. After Ryan Braun singled, Fielder blasted a pitch over the wall in center for his third homer of the year and a 4-0 lead.
"I can't imagine how hard he hit that ball," said Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke about Fielder's blast. "When he hit it I knew he crushed it and that was impressive, especially how far it carried in the cold air."
In the seventh, Betancourt drove home Nyjer Morgan, who was pinch-running for Mark Kotsay after he reached base on a Pedro Alvarez error. Betancourt later scored on a Marcum groundout for a 6-0 lead.
Pittsburgh had men on first and second in the seventh with one out, but Marcum got Ryan Doumit to hit into a double play to end the frame.
Braddock walked two batters around a groundout, and Loe came in to strike out Neil Walker and get Andrew McCutchen to fly out to end the frame.
Stetter recorded three straight flyouts in the ninth to complete the game.
Since the 2007 season, the Brewers have a 40-17 record versus the Pirates and won 13 of 18 matchups in 2010...Randy Wolf will pitch for Milwaukee on Thursday while Paul Maholm will take the mound for Pittsburgh...Fielder has 14 RBI on the season...After the game, Pittsburgh recalled catcher Chris Snyder from his rehab assignment with Single-A Bradenton and reinstated him from the disabled list. To make room on the roster, the club optioned catcher Jason Jaramillo to Triple-A Indianapolis.
- MILWAUKEE: 6
Apr 13 9:45 PM
- Shaun Marcum grounded out short to first scored Yuniesky Betancourt. None on with two outs and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 6, Pirates 0 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 13 8:47 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt doubled to left-center scored Pinch-runner Nyjer Morgan. Runner on third with none out as Betancourt advanced to third on the throw home and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 5, Pirates 0 Top 7, 0 OutsApr 13 8:42 PM
- Prince Fielder two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to center scored Shaun Marcum and Ryan Braun. Casey McGehee due up.
Brewers 4, Pirates 0 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 13 8:27 PM
- Carlos Gomez sacrifice fly foul out to right scored Jonathan Lucroy. Runner on first with two outs and Ryan Braun due up.
Brewers 1, Pirates 0 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 13 8:23 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 13 7:09 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21