Braun, Brewers down PiratesMay 14, 2011 - 4:17 AM
Yovani Gallardo (4-2) earned the win in six innings where he allowed two runs on five hits and three walks. He also struck out five and added an RBI to give the Brewers their fourth win in six games.
James McDonald (2-3) took the loss in just four innings of work for Pittsburgh. He allowed five runs on six hits and three walks while fanning seven in the Pirates' third straight loss.
"I lost command and fell behind the hitters. If you do that it makes it easy for them," said McDonald about his performance.
Jonathan Lucroy led off the third for the Brewers with a solo shot, and added another run on a groundout by Braun that brought Gallardo across the plate for a 2-0 Brewers lead.
On the play, Rickie Weeks was caught in a run-down between second and third, and when Pedro Alvarez bumped into him to make the out, an altercation started between the players. Both benches cleared, but nothing physical occurred between the teams.
"I don't know if it gave us an extra spark, but when those things happen you can get a team going and fired up," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said about the incident.
Ronny Cedeno answered in the fourth with a two-out, two-run homer to tie the game.
Milwaukee took the lead right back in their half of the fourth. Gallardo singled to score Corey Hart after Hart led off the inning with a double and moved to third on a groundout by Yuniesky Betancourt. Weeks then walked to load the bases, and after Carlos Gomez struck out, Braun hit a two-run single to make the score 5-2.
John Axford threw a perfect ninth -- including two strikeouts -- to earn his eighth save of the season.
Pittsburgh had a man on second in the fifth, but after that never managed to get a man past first base for the remainder of the game.
The Pirates began a seven-game, three-city road trip Friday. They head to Washington for a two-game series on Monday and go to Cincinnati on Wednesday for another two-game set...The Brewers are 11-6 at home this season...Pittsburgh went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position and left five men on base.
- PITTSBURGH: 2
May 13 11:12 PM
- Ryan Braun singled to center scored Jonathan Lucroy and Yovani Gallardo with two outs. On the play, Rickie Weeks advances to third. Runners on first and third and Prince Fielder due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 13 9:51 PM
- Yovani Gallardo single to center scored Corey Hart with one out. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy advances to second. Runners on first and second and Rickie Weeks due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 3 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 13 9:41 PM
- James McDonald grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Pirates 2, Brewers 2 Mid 4May 13 9:31 PM
- Ryan Braun ground ball fielder's choice, third, second to short scored Yovani Gallardo with two outs. On the play, Rickie Weeks tagged out between second and third. Runner on first and Prince Fielder due up.
Pirates 0, Brewers 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 13 9:14 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Yovani Gallardo due up.
Pirates 0, Brewers 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 13 9:03 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 13 8:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21