Brewers keep rolling, take first game from PiratesAug 23, 2011 - 12:34 AM
Narveson (9-6) allowed five hits and fanned three, but left the opener of this doubleheader with an injury to the middle finger of his throwing hand.
Ryan Braun belted a two-run homer and Jonathan Lucroy drove in a pair for the Brewers, who have won 23 of their last 26 games.
Jeff Karstens (9-7) was tagged with the loss after allowing two runs on six hits over seven frames.
Ryan Ludwick hit a home run for the Pirates, losers of four of their last five.
Narveson, who returned from the 15-day disabled list to start the opener of this four-game series, helped himself in the fourth.
Yuniesky Betancourt ripped a two-out single to get things started and George Kattaras followed with a ground-rule double to place runners on second and third. Karstens intentionally walked Craig Counsell to load the bases and Narveson delivered, ripping a 1-2 curveball into right to give the Brewers a 2-0 lead.
In the eighth, Milwaukee added insurance with another two-out spurt. Pinch- hitter Corey Hart singled and scored on a Betancourt double. Tony Watson intentionally walked Casey McGehee before Counsell's base hit scored Betancourt. Lucroy's double plated McGehee and Counsell, giving the Brewers a 6-0 cushion.
The Pirates had their chances. They wasted a one-out triple by Josh Harrison in the first and a Jose Tabata leadoff double in the third. Andrew McCutchen flew out following consecutive two-out singles from Tabata and Harrison in the fifth.
In the bottom of the sixth, Narveson was visited by head trainer Roger Caplinger after throwing a 1-0 fastball to Steve Pearce. He left the game and was relieved by Kameron Loe, who allowed a two-out double to Ronny Cedeno before inducing pinch-hitter Garrett Jones into an inning-ending fly out.
Ludwick, who was acquired from the Padres at the trade deadline, ripped one- out homer in the bottom of the eighth.
A half-inning later, Braun followed a Jerry Hairston walk with a home run to right, sealing the final margin.
The Brewers are 9-0 against the Pirates this season...Narveson landed on the DL earlier this month after accidentally slicing his left thumb with a pair of scissors while repairing his glove...Ludwick's home run was his first as a Pirate...Harrison's triple was the first of his career... Prior to the game, the Pirates placed pitcher Kevin Correia on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left oblique, retroactive to August 20. To fill the roster spot, the Pirates recalled pitcher Chris Leroux from Triple-A Indianapolis and activated him from the 15-day disabled list.
- MILWAUKEE: 8
Aug 22 8:03 PM
- Ryan Braun none-out, two-run Home Run (25) to right scored Jerry Hairston Jr.. Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 8, Pirates 1 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 22 7:51 PM
- Ryan Ludwick one-out, solo Home Run (12) to left. Steve Pearce due up.
Brewers 6, Pirates 1 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 22 7:40 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy double to center scored Casey McGehee and Craig Counsell with two outs. Runner on second and Nyjer Morgan due up.
Brewers 6, Pirates 0 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 22 7:31 PM
- Craig Counsell single to center scored Yuniesky Betancourt with two outs. On the play, Casey McGehee advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 4, Pirates 0 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 22 7:30 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt double to left scored Corey Hart with two outs. Runner on second and Takashi Saito due up.
Brewers 3, Pirates 0 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 22 7:27 PM
- Chris Narveson single to right scored Yuniesky Betancourt and George Kottaras with two outs. On the play, Craig Counsell advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nyjer Morgan due up.
Brewers 2, Pirates 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 22 6:06 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 22 5:07 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21