Brewers rout PiratesAug 24, 2011 - 4:40 AM
Nyjer Morgan finished with four hits, drove in two runs and scored twice for the Brewers, who continued their month-long hot streak and won for the 24th time in 28 games.
Ryan Braun went 2-for-3 with a pair of RBI and two runs scored, and Jonathan Lucroy posted three hits and knocked in a run for Milwaukee, which saw its lead in the AL Central increase to 10 games after the Cards were routed at home by the Dodgers later Tuesday.
Marco Estrada (4-8) allowed seven hits and two runs over seven innings for the win.
Ronny Cedeno collected three hits and Neil Walker added two with an RBI for the Pirates, who continued their second-half slide by recording their eighth loss in 12 tries.
Recalled from Triple-A Indianapolis prior to the contest, Ross Ohlendorf (0-1) was torched for 11 hits and seven runs --four earned -- over five full frames.
It was the right-hander's first appearance since April 8, and his first start while subbing for the injured Paul Maholm didn't go anywhere near as planned.
"Obviously he was more efficient in his minor league starts," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. "But you're talking about minor league starts vs. major league starts."
The Brewers ripped the game open in their second turn at the plate. Yuniesky Betancourt started with a double and Jerry Hairston singled before Lucroy singled home a run.
Estrada then laid down a sacrifice bunt, but the throw to first from Pirates catcher Ryan Doumit was wild, allowing a second run to score and leaving two in scoring position. Two batters later, Morgan singled in Lucroy then Braun doubled in two more for a 5-0 score.
Prince Fielder fanned and Braun stole third ahead of McGehee's shot to left which capped the frame.
"When we got the seven runs it was real important for him to go out the next inning and put up a zero," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said of Estrada. "Anytime you score big, you need that pitcher to shut them down."
Cedeno led off the third with a single and later scored on a Xavier Paul base hit, then Josh Harrison hit his first career homer to left to start the fifth and cut the Bucs' deficit to 7-2.
In the Milwaukee sixth, Braun walked with one out and Fielder doubled him home for an 8-2 contest, and a McGehee sac fly in the eighth upped the Brewers advantage to 9-2.
Walker notched an RBI single and Jones tripled him in to make it 9-4 in the Pittsburgh eighth, but a Morgan double and sac fly from Counsell in the ninth accounted for the seven-run margin.
Milwaukee has won 10 of the 11 meetings this season and 23 of 29 since the start of last year...McGehee totaled three RBI...Fielder walked three times and Braun worked a pair of bases on balls...In three appearances this season, the 29-year-old Ohlendorf has surrendered 22 hits and 14 runs -- 11 earned -- over 13 2/3 innings...The Bucs designated pitcher Joe Beimel for assignment, making the move to promote Ohlendorf necessary.
- MILWAUKEE: 11
Aug 23 10:14 PM
- Craig Counsell's sacrifice fly to right scored Corey Hart. On the play, Nyjer Morgan advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 11, Pirates 4 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 23 10:06 PM
- Garrett Jones tripled to right scoring Neil Walker. Runner on third with two outs and Josh Harrison due up.
Brewers 9, Pirates 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 23 9:53 PM
- Neil Walker singled to left scoring Xavier Paul. Runner on first with two outs and Garrett Jones due up.
Brewers 9, Pirates 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 23 9:49 PM
- Casey McGehee's sacrifice fly to center scored Nyjer Morgan. On the play, Craig Counsell advances to third. Runners on first and third and with one out and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Brewers 9, Pirates 2 Top 8, 1 OutAug 23 9:31 PM
- Prince Fielder doubled to left-center scoring Ryan Braun. Runner on second with one out and Casey McGehee due up.
Brewers 8, Pirates 2 Top 6, 1 OutAug 23 8:55 PM
- Josh Harrison lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Ronny Cedeno is due up.
Brewers 7, Pirates 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 23 8:38 PM
- Xavier Paul singled to right scoring Ronny Cedeno. Runner on first with two outs and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Brewers 7, Pirates 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 23 8:12 PM
- Casey McGehee two-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Ryan Braun. Yuniesky Betancourt is due up.
Brewers 7, Pirates 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 23 7:48 PM
- Ryan Braun doubled to center scoring Marco Estrada and Nyjer Morgan. Runner on second with one out and Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 5, Pirates 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 23 7:42 PM
- Nyjer Morgan singled to center scoring Jonathan Lucroy. On the play, Marco Estrada advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Ryan Braun due up.
Brewers 3, Pirates 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 23 7:39 PM
- Marco Estrada sacrificed. On the play, Estrada reached second on Ryan Doumit's throwing error which scored Jerry Hairston Jr. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 2, Pirates 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 23 7:36 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy singled to second scoring Yuniesky Betancourt. On the play, Jerry Hairston Jr. advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Marco Estrada due up.
Brewers 1, Pirates 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 23 7:33 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 23 7:07 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21