Gonzalez, Red Sox rout BrewersJun 18, 2011 - 6:51 AM
Kevin Youkilis and J.D. Drew each drove in two runs, while Jacoby Ellsbury homered and David Ortiz collected three hits and an RBI for the Red Sox, who have won three in a row and 12 of their last 13.
John Lackey (5-5) worked eight innings for the win, yielding eight hits and four runs with five strikeouts.
"It's fun to pitch here for sure, but we've got to swing the bats," Lackey said. "That's one thing you hang your hat on when you're out there if you give up a couple runs, just hang in there because the boys are coming, they can really swing it."
Casey McGehee drove in two runs and Prince Fielder had two hits and an RBI for the Brewers, losers in four of their last five.
Marco Estrada (1-4) allowed three runs on four hits with two walks in four relief frames. Shaun Marcum started but recorded only three outs, charged with four hits and two runs on 44 pitches. He left the game with a left hip flexor strain.
"I think anytime you lose a guy that has been as good as him in a ballgame that early against a great team, yeah it's tough," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said.
Gonzalez snapped a 4-4 deadlock, leading off the fifth against Estrada by clearing the Green Monster, then Boston took a 7-4 edge in the sixth.
Daniel Ray Herrera came in but issued a leadoff walk to Drew and served up Jason Varitek's RBI double. After an Ellsbury groundout, Dustin Pedroia's seeing-eye single through the right side plated another run.
The Sox then extended their lead to 10-4 in the seventh.
Drew Sutton -- called up for injured regular shortstop Jed Lowrie and inserted into the game when Youkilis left with an intestinal issue -- led off with a double. Ortiz followed with a single, and when Darnell McDonald's grounder ticked off the top of Brewers shortstop Craig Counsell's glove, Sutton scored. After a sacrifice bunt put two runners in scoring position, Drew singled in both.
Lackey finished his outing by retiring the side in order in the eighth and Matt Albers did the same in the ninth.
Milwaukee scored twice in its first at-bat on a two-run single from McGehee, but Boston countered with two in the home half on an Ellsbury homer to right and an RBI double from Ortiz.
Youkilis put the Sox ahead with a two-run hit in the second off Estrada, but the Brewers responded in the third on a Fielder RBI single and a double-play grounder from McGehee.
This was the first meeting between the teams since the Sox swept a three-game series at Fenway from May 17-18, 2008...Prior to the game, the Red Sox announced that reliever Jonathan Papelbon had his three-game suspension for contact with an umpire was reduced to two games...Papelbon will serve the ban on Friday and Saturday...The Sox also placed Lowrie on the 15-day disabled list and recalled Sutton from Triple-A Pawtucket...Boston leftfielder Carl Crawford left the game in the second inning with what was later termed a Grade 1 hamstring strain.
- MILWAUKEE: 4
Jun 17 10:19 PM
- J.D. Drew single to center scored David Ortiz and Darnell McDonald. Runner on first with one out and Jason Varitek due up.
Brewers 4, Red Sox 10 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 17 9:46 PM
- Marco Scutaro sacrifice bunt to pitcher. On the play, Darnell McDonald advances to second and David Ortiz advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and J.D. Drew due up.
Brewers 4, Red Sox 8 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 17 9:44 PM
- Drew Sutton doubled to right. Runner on second with none out and David Ortiz due up.
Brewers 4, Red Sox 7 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 17 9:34 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury grounded out to first. On the play, Jason Varitek advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Brewers 4, Red Sox 6 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 17 9:22 PM
- Drew Sutton flied out to right. None on with one out and David Ortiz due up.
Brewers 4, Red Sox 5 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 17 9:00 PM
- Casey McGehee grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Nyjer Morgan. Prince Fielder out at second. Ryan Braun advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 4, Red Sox 4 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 17 8:31 PM
- Prince Fielder single to right scored Rickie Weeks. On the play, Ryan Braun advances to second and Nyjer Morgan advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Casey McGehee due up.
Brewers 3, Red Sox 4 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 17 8:28 PM
- Kevin Youkilis single to center scored Dustin Pedroia and Adrian Gonzalez. Runner on first with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Brewers 2, Red Sox 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 17 8:14 PM
- Darnell McDonald is pinch-running for Carl Crawford.
Brewers 2, Red Sox 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 17 7:46 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury lead-off Home Run (8) to right. Dustin Pedroia due up.
Brewers 2, Red Sox 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 17 7:29 PM
- Casey McGehee single to center scored Nyjer Morgan and Prince Fielder. Runner on first with two outs and Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 2, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 17 7:23 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 17 7:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21