Young's four RBI helps Arizona outslug CincyApr 11, 2011 - 12:09 AM
Young drove in a total of four runs for the D-Backs, who also got a three-run homer from Ryan Roberts. Stephen Drew went 4-for-4 with three RBI and two runs scored.
Joe Saunders lasted just three innings, allowing five runs -- four earned -- on six hits. Aaron Heilman (1-0) got the win despite giving up two runs on two hits over three innings.
Jonny Gomes hit a two-run homer and drove in three runs for the Reds, who have lost three of four since opening the season with five straight wins.
Mike Leake allowed six runs on nine hits over a 4 2/3-inning start. Nick Masset (0-2) was charged with four runs on three hits to suffer the loss.
Trailing by one, 7-6, Arizona scored four times off Masset in the eighth to go in front. Pinch-hitter Gerardo Parra and Kelly Johnson walked to put men on first and second with two outs. Drew followed with an RBI single. Young stepped to the plate and smashed Masset's offering over the wall in left for a 10-7 lead.
J.J. Putz came on in the ninth to close the game out for the Diamondbacks. He gave up two quick singles to put men on the corners. Scott Rolen seemed to have an extra-base hit to right-center field, however, Young made a nice catch to keep it to a sacrifice fly. After giving up a single to Gomes, Putz struck out the next two batters for his third save.
The Reds put a three-spot on the board in the first to grab the early lead. With the bases loaded and one out, Gomes walked to force in a run. Edgar Renteria followed with a sac fly to right, and Rolen moved to third on the throw. Juan Miranda's throwing error with Jay Bruce batting allowed Rolen to score.
Joey Votto's RBI single in the second made it a 4-0 contest. Bruce added a run-scoring double in the third for a five-run cushion.
Drew got Arizona on the board in the home third with an RBI double to right.
The Diamondbacks used a five-run fifth to take the lead. With the bases loaded and nobody out, Drew knocked in a run with a single. Young followed with a sac fly before Roberts hit a three-run homer to left for a 6-5 margin.
Gomes put Cincinnati back on top with a two-run homer to left.
Cincinnati won five of its seven meetings with the D'Backs last season...Votto went 4-for-5...Each team left eight men on base.
- CINCINNATI: 8
Apr 10 7:30 PM
- Scott Rolen sacrifice fly out to center scored Brandon Phillips with none out. Runner on first with one out and Jonny Gomes due up.
Reds 8, Diamondbacks 10 Top 9, 1 OutApr 10 7:23 PM
- Chris Young two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Kelly Johnson and Stephen Drew. Juan Miranda due up.
Reds 7, Diamondbacks 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 10 7:12 PM
- Stephen Drew single to right scored Gerardo Parra with two out. Runners on first and second and Chris Young due up.
Reds 7, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 10 7:09 PM
- Jonny Gomes one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Scott Rolen. Edgar Renteria due up.
Reds 7, Diamondbacks 6 Top 7, 1 OutApr 10 6:28 PM
- Ryan Roberts two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Justin Upton and Stephen Drew. Henry Blanco due up.
Reds 5, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 10 5:58 PM
- Chris Young sacrifice fly out to left scored Kelly Johnson with none out. Runners on first and second and Juan Miranda due up.
Reds 5, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 10 5:54 PM
- Stephen Drew single to right scored Willie Bloomquist with none out. Bases loaded and Chris Young due up.
Reds 5, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsApr 10 5:53 PM
- Stephen Drew ground-rule double to right scored Willie Bloomquist with one out. Runners on second and third and Chris Young due up.
Reds 5, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 10 5:24 PM
- Jay Bruce double to right scored Scott Rolen with one out. Runners on second and third and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Reds 5, Diamondbacks 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 10 5:09 PM
- Joey Votto single to right scored Drew Stubbs with two out. On the play, Brandon Phillips is thrown out right to catcher to end the inning.
Reds 4, Diamondbacks 0 Mid 2Apr 10 4:53 PM
- Jay Bruce grounded out to first to end the inning.
Reds 3, Diamondbacks 0 Mid 1Apr 10 4:33 PM
- Edgar Renteria sacrifice fly out to right scored Joey Votto with one out. On the play, Scott Rolen advances to third on the throw. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 10 4:29 PM
- Jonny Gomes walked, scoring Brandon Phillips with one out. Bases loaded and Edgar Renteria due up.
Reds 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 10 4:27 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 10 4:13 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21