Rockies avoid third straight loss, down D-backsMay 5, 2011 - 5:54 AM
Seth Smith and Ian Stewart both knocked in a run for the Rockies, who avoided their first three-game losing streak of the season.
Colorado starter Jhoulys Chacin (4-2) gave up solo home runs to Kelly Johnson and his Arizona counterpart, Barry Enright, among three hits over seven strong innings. The right-hander walked four and struck out six.
Enright (1-3) surrendered six runs on six hits and walked four in five full frames for Arizona, which fell to 5-4 on its 10-game homestand.
"Four walks and three runs scored," Enright said, "other than that I pitched OK. It's just unfortunate and how it goes sometimes."
Trailing by four runs, the Diamondbacks try to mount a comeback in the ninth.
With one out, Juan Miranda launched a solo home run off Colorado reliever Matt Reynolds. Huston Street replaced Reynolds after Gerardo Parra drew a walk. Parra then took second on defensive indifference before scoring on a two-out single by pinch-hitter Melvin Mora. Street yielded another single to Chris Young, but fanned Johnson to end the game and collect his 11th save of the season.
Arizona struck first, taking a 1-0 lead in the third inning on Enright's first career home run, a blast to the left field seats.
The Rockies scored three runs in both the fourth and fifth innings to take control. All six runs came with two outs.
Helton drew a one-out walk and came around to score on Stewart's double to the right field corner that Justin Upton misplayed. Iannetta followed with a line- drive smash to left field.
"I was trying to get a good pitch to hit," Iannetta said. "He left a curveball high and I was able to put a good swing on it."
Jonathan Herrera and Carlos Gonzalez both walked with one away and scored on Helton's double to center. A single by Smith plated Helton for a 6-1 Colorado lead.
Johnson went deep in the bottom of the sixth.
The Rockies snapped a four-game losing streak at Chase Field...Enright's home run was the 18th all-time by an Arizona pitcher.
- COLORADO: 6
May 5 12:34 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Melvin Mora singled to center scored Gerardo Parra. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Young due up.
Rockies 6, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 5 12:32 AM
- Juan Miranda one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Gerardo Parra due up.
Rockies 6, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 5 12:24 AM
- Kelly Johnson one-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Justin Upton due up.
Rockies 6, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 4 11:22 PM
- Seth Smith singled to center scored Todd Helton. Runner on first with two outs and Ian Stewart due up.
Rockies 6, Diamondbacks 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 4 10:56 PM
- Todd Helton doubled to center scored Jonathan Herrera and Carlos Gonzalez. Runner on second with two outs and Seth Smith due up.
Rockies 5, Diamondbacks 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 4 10:55 PM
- Jhoulys Chacin grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Rockies 3, Diamondbacks 1 Mid 4May 4 10:32 PM
- Ian Stewart doubled to right scored Todd Helton. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Iannetta due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 4 10:30 PM
- Barry Enright one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Chris Young due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 4 10:16 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 4 9:40 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21