Diamondbacks complete sweep of TwinsMay 22, 2011 - 11:06 PM
Juan Miranda hit a solo homer for the Diamondbacks, who extended their season- best win streak to six games.
Daniel Hudson (5-5) allowed eight hits and two runs over eight solid innings, fanning six without issuing a walk. He added an RBI single in the fourth inning.
J.J. Putz turned in a scoreless ninth for his 12th save as Arizona posted its first home sweep of an American League opponent.
Delmon Young homered for the Twins, losers in 12 of their last 15.
Alex Burnett (0-3) was charged with the deciding run in his one relief frame. Starter Francisco Liriano worked six innings, yielding six hits and two runs with a run driven in.
Young began the seventh with his first home run of the season, and it tied the game, 2-2. The D-Backs scratched out the winning run in the home half.
Burnett took over for Liriano and gave up a leadoff double to pinch-hitter Willie Bloomquist, who moved to third on Minnesota center fielder Ben Revere's fielding error.
Roberts followed with a fly ball to center to make it 3-2.
Hudson allowed a leadoff single by Revere in the eighth but retired the next three batters. Putz followed with a 1-2-3 ninth.
Arizona picked up two runs in the fourth, as Miranda hit a one-out solo shot and Hudson helped his cause by singling home Xavier Nady.
Young started the fifth with a base hit, Rene Rivera followed with a double and two batters later, Liriano's grounder to second plated Young.
The Diamondbacks posted three-game road interleague sweeps against Boston (June 7-9, 2002), Detroit (June 27-29, 2002), Oakland (June 30-July 2, 2006) and Baltimore (June 15-17, 2007)...Arizona begins a seven-game road trip at Colorado on Tuesday, and Minnesota hosts Seattle for three games beginning Monday.
- MINNESOTA: 2
May 22 6:37 PM
- Ryan Roberts sacrifice fly to center scored Willie Bloomquist with one out. None on and Justin Upton due up.
Twins 2, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 22 6:07 PM
- Delmon Young lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Rene Rivera due up.
Twins 2, Diamondbacks 2 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 22 5:54 PM
- Francisco Liriano grounded out second to first scored Delmon Young with two out. On the play, Rene Rivera advances to third. Runner on third and Ben Revere due up.
Twins 1, Diamondbacks 2 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 22 5:26 PM
- Daniel Hudson single to right scored Xavier Nady with two out. On the play, Henry Blanco advances to second. Runners on first and second and Willie Bloomquist due up.
Twins 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 22 5:15 PM
- Juan Miranda one-out, solo Home Run (3) to center. Xavier Nady due up.
Twins 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 22 5:08 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 22 4:10 PM
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21