D-Backs fry Marlins with scorching offenseMay 31, 2011 - 4:23 AM
Upton was just one of the many highlights for Arizona: Kelly Johnson homered twice, tripled and doubled during a three-RBI game, Miguel Montero also went deep and knocked in five and the team recorded 19 hits in the rout.
The offensive barrage backed Joe Saunders (2-5), who gave up four runs on seven hits over six innings to earn the win, Arizona's 15th in 17 games.
"It's going really well," said Johnson, who recorded his seventh career multi- homer game. "We're playing really well against really good teams."
Chris Volstad (2-4) was touched for five runs on eight hits in just 3 1/3 innings for the Marlins, who were coming off a series loss to the Dodgers over the weekend.
Gaby Sanchez went 2-for-4 with a home run and three RBI in defeat.
Florida wasted a bases-loaded, no-out situation in the first inning, but pushed across the game's first runs in the third on Sanchez's RBI single and Mike Stanton's run-scoring fielder's choice.
The D-Backs got four in the bottom half, as Gerardo Parra and Johnson each poked opposite-field solo homers, and Chris Young and Montero added RBI singles later in the frame.
Upton tacked on an RBI single to right in the fourth before Sanchez's two-run shot pulled the Marlins within 5-4 in their next at-bat.
Arizona put the game away against the Marlins' bullpen. Burke Badenhop yielded a run-scoring fielder's choice to Montero in the fifth, and Ryan Webb was pounded for five runs in the sixth.
Johnson recorded his second solo homer in roughly the same spot as his first -- the bleachers in left-center -- and Upton scored on a Webb throwing error. Montero went the other way for a three-run shot and a commanding 11-4 cushion.
It was Michael Dunn's turn to face the D-Backs in the seventh, and Johnson brought in Xavier Nady with a triple before scoring on Melvin Mora's base hit to center.
Upton followed with a mammoth two-run shot that landed near the restaurant in the second deck in left-center, putting an exclamation point on the blowout.
"They're playing well. Everything is going their way now," Florida manager Edwin Rodriguez said of Arizona.
The Diamondbacks have won seven in a row for the first time since an eight- game winning streak from April 4-12, 2008...Upton's only other five-hit game came on September 16, 2009 against San Diego...Volstad hasn't won since April 26, a span of six starts...Marlins outfielder Logan Morrison walked in the first inning. He has reached base safely in all 31 games this season...Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez sat out due to back pain.
- FLORIDA: 4
May 30 11:23 PM
- Justin Upton none-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Melvin Mora. Stephen Drew due up.
Marlins 4, Diamondbacks 15 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 30 10:45 PM
- Melvin Mora single to center scored Kelly Johnson with none out. Runner on first with none out and Justin Upton due up.
Marlins 4, Diamondbacks 13 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 30 10:44 PM
- Kelly Johnson triple to right scored Xavier Nady with none out. Runner on third with none out and Melvin Mora due up.
Marlins 4, Diamondbacks 12 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 30 10:42 PM
- Miguel Montero two-out, three-run Home Run (6) to left scored Stephen Drew and Chris Young. Juan Miranda due up.
Marlins 4, Diamondbacks 11 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 30 10:19 PM
- Justin Upton stole third, Stephen Drew stole second and advanced to third as Justin Upton scored on Ryan Webb's throwing error. Runner on third with two outs and Chris Young at the plate.
Marlins 4, Diamondbacks 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 30 10:16 PM
- Kelly Johnson one-out, solo Home Run 2 (9) to left. Melvin Mora due up.
Marlins 4, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 30 10:06 PM
- Miguel Montero reached first on a fielder's choice, second to short, scoring Stephen Drew with one out. Chris Young out at second. Runner on first and Juan Miranda due up.
Marlins 4, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 30 9:45 PM
- Gaby Sanchez two-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Logan Morrison. Mike Stanton due up.
Marlins 4, Diamondbacks 5 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 30 9:32 PM
- Justin Upton single to right scored Gerardo Parra with two out. On the play, Kelly Johnson thrown out at home, right to catcher to end the inning.
Marlins 2, Diamondbacks 5 End 4May 30 9:26 PM
- Miguel Montero single to left scored Stephen Drew with two out. On the play, Chris Young advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Juan Miranda due up.
Marlins 2, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 30 9:04 PM
- Chris Young single to catcher scored Justin Upton with two out. On the play, Stephen Drew advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Miguel Montero due up.
Marlins 2, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 30 9:03 PM
- Melvin Mora grounded out third to first. None on with two outs and Justin Upton due up.
Marlins 2, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 30 8:58 PM
- Joe Saunders grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Kelly Johnson due up.
Marlins 2, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 30 8:56 PM
- Greg Dobbs struck out swinging to end the inning.
Marlins 2, Diamondbacks 0 Mid 3May 30 8:51 PM
- Gaby Sanchez single to right scored Emilio Bonifacio with one out. On the play, Omar Infante advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Mike Stanton due up.
Marlins 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 30 8:49 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 30 8:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21