Upton's RBI single in 9th lifts Arizona over MarlinsJun 2, 2011 - 4:00 AM
Ryan Roberts blasted a two-run homer and Stephen Drew went 3-for-4 with a run scored for the Diamondbacks, who won for the 16th time in 19 games.
Upton drove in two runs for Arizona, which has 17 come from behind wins this season, most in the majors.
The hustle of Bloomquist is what ultimately gave Arizona a chance to win the game after J.J. Putz (1-1) blew the save in the top of the frame on John Buck's lead-off homer.
Bloomquist legged out an infield single to deep shortstop to begin the bottom of the ninth. Clay Hensley struck out pinch-hitter Sean Burroughs, but the reliever then crouched on the mound in agony with an apparent right shoulder injury. Hensley (0-2) departed the game in favor of Burke Badenhop.
Roberts grounded out third, but Bloomquist rounded second as the throw came across the diamond. Bloomquist slid in head-first at third and was barely safe. Kelly Johnson walked to set up Upton's, broken bat bloop hit tight to the line in right as the ball dropped in an open space with three fielders closing in.
Arizona, which rallied from a four-run deficit, bounced back from a 5-2 loss on Tuesday and won for the eighth time in nine contests.
Mike Stanton belted a two-run homer and added an RBI triple for the Marlins, who lost for the third time in four tries.
Greg Dobbs doubled ahead of Stanton's homer to left-center in the second. Florida tacked on another run in the inning on a Vazquez single, which scored Emilio Bonifacio.
Starting pitcher Daniel Hudson and first baseman Juan Miranda collided in foul territory going for a pop-up off the bat of Stanton with two outs in the third. On the very next pitch, Stanton smashed a liner off the fence down the right field line to drive in Logan Morrison, who doubled to lead off the frame.
"I had trouble with everything," Hudson said. "I had a hard time getting strike one. When I did, it was right down the middle. Those guys are an aggressive team. When it's basically all you're doing is throwing strike one down the middle, they are going to start swinging at it pretty good."
Vazquez grounded out to leave two men in scoring position in the sixth, and the Diamondbacks started their comeback in their half of the inning. Gerardo Parra singled and Roberts homered to left with one down. Johnson tripled into the gap in left-center before scoring on Upton's groundout.
Arizona loaded the bases with one out in the seventh. Pinch-hitter Xavier Nady hit a bouncer toward third. Dobbs reached up to field the ball and tried to step on the base at the same time, but couldn't make a clean play and the ball popped loose. The error allowed Young to score the tying run, but Florida kept the game tied when second baseman Omar Infante made a diving stop on a ball hit by Roberts to become an inning-ending double play.
"It was a tough one because we played a very good game," Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez said. "Javy Vazquez, he was in control of the game until the sixth. They started making adjustments, but the first part of the game it was a good game."
David Hernandez struck out the side in the top of the eighth and Drew singled with two outs in the bottom of the inning. Drew went to second on Edward Mujica's wild pickoff attempt, and scored on Young's double to left-center field to give Arizona a 5-4 edge.
Putz, who had a franchise record with 16 straight saves to start the season, then left an 0-1 pitch over the middle of the plate and Buck hammered it over the pool area in right center field.
Florida starter Javier Vazquez allowed six hits and struck out five in six- plus innings, while Hudson yielded 10 hits and four runs in seven frames...The Marlins, who went 5-4 on their nine-game road trip, host Milwaukee Friday in the opener of a four-game series...The Diamondbacks open a four-game set at home against Washington on Thursday...Morrison has reached base safely in all 33 of his games this season...Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez has not played since Sunday's game at Dodger Stadium due to a stiff lower back.
- FLORIDA: 5
Jun 1 10:42 PM
- Justin Upton single to right scored Willie Bloomquist with two out. On the play, Kelly Johnson advances to second. Runners on first and second and Stephen Drew due up.
Marlins 5, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 1 10:34 PM
- John Buck lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Marlins 5, Diamondbacks 5 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 1 10:10 PM
- Chris Young double to left center scored Stephen Drew with two out. Runner on second and Miguel Montero due up.
Marlins 4, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 1 10:02 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Xavier Nady reached first on Greg Dobbs's fielding error scoring Chris Young with one out. On the play, Willie Bloomquist advances to second and Miguel Montero advances to third. Bases loaded and Ryan Roberts due up.
Marlins 4, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 1 9:46 PM
- Justin Upton ground out second to first scored Kelly Johnson with two out. None on and Stephen Drew due up.
Marlins 4, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 1 9:19 PM
- Ryan Roberts one-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Daniel Hudson. Kelly Johnson due up.
Marlins 4, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 1 9:14 PM
- Mike Stanton triple to right scored Logan Morrison with two out. Runner on third and John Buck due up.
Marlins 4, Diamondbacks 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 1 8:19 PM
- Chris Coghlan singled to center. On the play, Javier Vazquez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Omar Infante due up.
Marlins 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 1 8:02 PM
- Mike Stanton one-out, two-run Home Run (12) to left center scored Greg Dobbs. John Buck due up.
Marlins 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 1 7:57 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 1 7:43 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21