Johnson, Roberts lead surge as D-Backs top MarlinsJun 12, 2011 - 3:56 AM
Johnson's bases-clearing double came as part of a decisive six-run fourth inning, which was spearheaded by a leadoff homer from Stephen Drew.
Ian Kennedy (7-2), the beneficiary of Arizona's offensive surge, allowed five runs over eight innings while striking out nine to earn the win.
Chris Coghlan, Gaby Sanchez and Mike Stanton each homered for the Marlins, who downed the Diamondbacks in the series opener to halt a season-long eight game skid.
Javier Vazquez (3-6) lasted just 3 2/3 innings, allowing seven runs on seven hits and three walks while striking out six.
"You know, a rough outing for him," Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez said of Vazquez. "He struggled with control, he was pitching behind in the count, so that fourth inning got away and the game got away."
Roberts began the game with a bang, ripping a 2-1 fastball over the fence in left to give the Diamondbacks an early 1-0 lead.
Coghlan responded in turn, leading off the bottom of the first with a blast to right.
Florida grabbed a 2-1 lead in the third, as a Logan Morrison triple brought home Omar Infante.
Drew's home run, which tied the game, was the initial jab in a fourth-inning flurry for the Diamondbacks.
Arizona placed runners at the corners with two down, but Vazquez appeared poised to escape the jam with Kennedy coming to the plate. Instead, Vazquez walked Kennedy to load the bases, then gave Roberts a free pass, forcing a run home. Johnson's double over the head of Coghlan gave the Diamondbacks a 6-2 lead and Justin Upton's subsequent two-bagger scored Johnson and chased Vazquez from the game.
"You know, that's a game-changer," Johnson said of the fourth-inning production.
Brian Sanches spelled Vazquez and stuck out Drew to end the threat. But Sanches struggled in the fifth, allowing Chris Young to score from third on a wild pitch and Xavier Nady to cross the plate on a Gerardo Parra triple.
In the bottom of the fifth, Florida countered behind the tandem of Sanchez and Stanton, who hit back-to-back homers -- Sanchez's of the two-run variety -- to keep the Marlins within striking distance.
Unfortunately for Florida, Kennedy would settle down to retire the next 10 batters and Aaron Heilman threw a scoreless ninth to secure the win.
John Buck's season-high five game hit streak came to an end...The Marlins' eight-game losing streak was their longest since August of 2007...Stanton has belted 14 home runs since May 1st.
- ARIZONA: 9
Jun 11 10:17 PM
- Mike Stanton two-out, solo Home Run (16) to center. Greg Dobbs due up.
Diamondbacks 9, Marlins 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 11 9:12 PM
- Gerardo Parra triple to right scored Xavier Nady with one out. Runner on third and Ian Kennedy due up.
Diamondbacks 9, Marlins 2 Top 5, 1 OutJun 11 9:01 PM
- Chris Young scored on a wild pitch with one out. None on and Xavier Nady at the plate.
Diamondbacks 8, Marlins 2 Top 5, 1 OutJun 11 9:00 PM
- Justin Upton double to left center scored Kelly Johnson with two outs. Runner on second and Stephen Drew due up.
Diamondbacks 7, Marlins 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 11 8:39 PM
- Kelly Johnson double to center scored Xavier Nady, Ian Kennedy and Ryan Roberts with two outs. Runner on second and Justin Upton due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Marlins 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 11 8:37 PM
- Chris Young flied out to left. None on with one out and Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Marlins 2 Top 4, 1 OutJun 11 8:23 PM
- Logan Morrison triple to right scored Omar Infante with one out. Runner on third and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Marlins 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 11 8:16 PM
- Chris Coghlan lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Omar Infante due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 11 7:39 PM
- Ryan Roberts lead-off Home Run (9) to left. Kelly Johnson due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Marlins 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 11 7:32 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 11 7:31 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21