Owings, D-Backs shut down RockiesJul 25, 2011 - 12:39 AM
Micah Owings (4-0) tossed five shutout innings for the victory, allowing just two hits in his first start since May 26.
Justin Upton went 4-for-4 with three RBI and Xavier Nady added two hits and three runs scored for Arizona, which has won three of its last four.
"I got lucky. High balls fell for me today," Upton said. "I hit two jam shots today, broke my bat a couple times and that's just the way baseball is."
Ty Wigginton was 2-for-3 with a double for the Rockies, who have lost six of nine.
Ubaldo Jimenez (6-9) was pegged with the loss after surrendering five runs on eight hits over five frames.
Already up 3-0, the Diamondbacks added to their lead in the fifth. Nady hit a leadoff single and scored on Upton's triple off the wall in right. Three batters later, Upton slid around Chris Iannetta's tag at the plate after Sean Burroughs smoked a grounder to second.
Colorado had an opportunity to get on the board in the sixth after Troy Tulowitzki singled with two outs, but reliever Zach Duke was able to get Seth Smith to ground out to first to end the inning.
"Offensively or pitching wise it was not a good game today," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "We have to pick up the pieces and start over again tomorrow."
Duke tossed four scoreless innings to record his first-career save.
The D-Backs tacked on two more runs in the home sixth. Nady was hit by a pitch and moved to third on Upton's second double of the day. Chris Young followed with a line drive to left-center field to bring home Nady. Miguel Montero's fielder's choice knocked in Upton to make it a 7-0 game.
The Diamondbacks jumped ahead 2-0 in the third. Willie Bloomquist and Nady hit back-to-back two-out singles before Upton cleared the bases with a double into the right field corner.
Arizona added another run in fourth. Montero led off with a single to left, moved to second on Brandon Allen's walk and scored on Owings' single up the middle.
Arizona third baseman Geoff Blum left the game after the second inning with a fractured right pinky finger. He was replaced by Burroughs...Colorado has gone 14 innings without a run...The Rockies fell to 18-23 against the NL West.
- COLORADO: 0
Jul 24 6:44 PM
- Miguel Montero fielder's choice to second scored Justin Upton with two out. Chris Young out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Sean Burroughs due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 24 6:07 PM
- Chris Young single to left scored Xavier Nady with one out. On the play, Justin Upton advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Miguel Montero due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 24 6:02 PM
- Sean Burroughs reached on a fielder's choice to second scoring Justin Upton with one out. On the play, Chris Young advances to third. Runners on first and third with Ryan Roberts due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 24 5:47 PM
- Miguel Montero struck out swinging. Runners on second and third with one out and Sean Burroughs due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 24 5:45 PM
- Miguel Montero reached first on a fielder's choice to second scoring Justin Upton with none out. On the play, Chris Young advances to third. Runners on first and third with Sean Burroughs due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 24 5:41 PM
- Justin Upton triple to right scored Xavier Nady with none out. Runner on third and Chris Young due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 24 5:35 PM
- Micah Owings single to center scored Miguel Montero with two out. On the play, Brandon Allen advances to second. Runners on first and second with Willie Bloomquist due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 24 5:23 PM
- Justin Upton double to right scored Willie Bloomquist and Xavier Nady with two out. Runner on second and Chris Young due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 24 5:05 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 24 4:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21