Roberts, Hudson lead D-Backs past MetsAug 14, 2011 - 4:46 AM
Hudson (12-8) gave up four runs -- two earned -- on eight hits to pick up the win. He also had an RBI single in the sixth for the Diamondbacks, who have won five in a row and sit two games ahead of the Giants in the NL West.
"I was just trying to make quality pitches and get the team off the field as quick as possible," Hudson said.
Ruben Tejada drove in two runs for the Mets, who have dropped four straight.
New York starter Mike Pelfrey allowed three runs -- two earned -- on four hits over four-plus innings before leaving with an injury. Gerardo Parra's sharp line drive in the fifth inning hit off Pelfrey's right elbow. X-rays taken on his elbow during the game were negative.
"The elbow feels good," Pelfrey said. "I thought I had good stuff tonight for the first time in six or seven starts. It sucks that you've got to end it like that."
D.J. Carrasco (1-3) was charged with two runs on one hit in one inning of relief to suffer the loss.
The D-Backs scored a pair of runs in the first inning. Roberts hit a one-out double to left and crossed the plate on Justin Upton's base hit to center. Upton stole second, moved to third on catcher Ronny Paulino's throwing error and scored on Miguel Montero's sacrifice fly.
New York tied the game in the second. Jason Bay reached first on third baseman Roberts' fielding error. Mike Baxter hit a two-out single to put men on first and second. The runners advanced a base on a passed ball and scored on Tejada's double to right.
The Mets tacked on two more runs in the fourth to take a 4-2 lead. Paulino hit a one-out double and scored on Baxter's triple to center. Pelfrey added an RBI single.
But Arizona took the lead for good in the fifth. Parra led off the frame with a liner off Pelfrey's elbow. Carrasco was called in from the bullpen and hit Willie Bloomquist with a pitch. Roberts followed with a blast over the wall in left to make it a 5-4 game.
Hudson helped his own cause in the sixth. With a runner on third and two outs, Hudson hit an RBI single to right-center field for a 6-4 edge.
J.J. Putz tossed a perfect ninth to pick up his 29th save of the season.
The D-Backs placed Xavier Nady on the 15-day disabled list with a fractured left hand. Arizona signed free agent infielder Lyle Overbay and designated pitcher Juan Jaime for assignment...Arizona improved to 61-0 when leading after eight innings.
- NEW YORK: 4
Aug 13 10:28 PM
- Daniel Hudson single to right center scored Kelly Johnson. Runner on first with two outs and Willie Bloomquist due up.
Mets 4, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 13 9:51 PM
- Justin Upton struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Miguel Montero due up.
Mets 4, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 13 9:31 PM
- Mike Pelfrey single to right scored Mike Baxter. Runner on first with two outs and Angel Pagan due up.
Mets 4, Diamondbacks 2 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 13 9:05 PM
- Mike Baxter triple to center scored Ronny Paulino. Runner on third with one out and Ruben Tejada due up.
Mets 3, Diamondbacks 2 Top 4, 1 OutAug 13 9:01 PM
- Ruben Tejada double to right scored Jason Bay and Mike Baxter. Runner on second with two outs and Mike Pelfrey due up.
Mets 2, Diamondbacks 2 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 13 8:33 PM
- Miguel Montero sacrifice fly out to left scored Justin Upton. None on with two outs and Chris Young due up.
Mets 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 13 8:23 PM
- Justin Upton single to center scored Ryan Roberts. Runner on first with one out and Miguel Montero due up.
Mets 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 13 8:21 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 13 8:10 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21