D-Backs score four in first, top PadresAug 27, 2011 - 6:08 AM
Collmenter (8-8) scattered six hits and fanned four without issuing a walk to earn his first road win since May 14. Additionally, he went 1-for-2 and scored a run.
Chris Young and Aaron Hill both knocked in a run in the opening frame, as the Diamondbacks won their fourth straight following a six-game skid. They remain three games ahead of the Giants for first place in the NL West.
Wade LeBlanc (2-3) allowed five runs -- four earned -- on seven hits over four frames to suffer the loss.
Jason Bartlett and Logan Forsythe both had a pair of hits for the Padres, who stranded nine and went 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position.
Willie Bloomquist set the tone with a leadoff double. He then stole third and came home when catcher Nick Hundley's throw hit the bat of Ryan Roberts.
Roberts went down on strikes but Justin Upton followed with a double and crossed the plate on Young's base hit to left. After a Paul Goldschmidt single placed runners at first and second, Hundley committed his second gaffe of the inning.
Like Bloomquist, Young stole third and Hundley again threw the ball away, allowing Young to score and Goldschmidt to reach third. Hill made it a 4-0 game with a double to left.
"Any time you can get a couple of runs before you go back out for the second inning, it's huge," said Collmenter. "A lot of times just one run makes the difference. It helps your confidence."
An inning later, Collmenter helped himself with a leadoff single. He advanced to second on a Roberts walk and to third on an Upton groundout. Young followed with a grounder to third and first baseman Jesus Guzman couldn't reel in the throw from Forsythe, allowing Collmenter to score.
The Padres placed a runner at second with two down in both the third and the fourth but could not deliver. In the fifth, singles by Forsythe and pinch- hitter Aaron Cunningham placed runners at the corners, but Will Venable flew out to end the inning.
Singles by Bartlett and Guzman chased Collmenter with one down in the sixth. Brad Ziegler entered and induced Orlando Hudson into a force out before retiring Kyle Blanks to escape unscathed.
Micah Owings began the seventh and allowed a leadoff single to Hundley and a two-out base hit to Venable but got Bartlett on a grounder to keep the Padres off the board.
"If we get a ball in the gap a couple of times during this game it is a different ballgame," said Padres manager Bud Black. "Early in the game we didn't threaten much, but from the third inning on we started to put a little pressure on them."
The Diamondbacks threatened for more in the home seventh, placing runners at first and second before Goldschmidt drove a fly to deep center. Cameron Maybin robbed Goldschmidt of a hit, however, with a spectacular, leaping catch against the wall.
The Diamondbacks improved to 66-0 this season when leading after eight innings...Arizona's 401 extra base hits leads the NL...The Padres tied a season high with three errors...Venable extended his hit streak to a season- high six games...Prior to the game, San Diego transferred pitcher Clayton Richard to the 60-day disabled list, optioned third baseman James Darnell to Triple-A Tucson and recalled second baseman Andy Parrino from Double-A San Antonio. Parrino made his major league debut with a pinch-hit fly out in the seventh.
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Aug 27 12:32 AM
- Chris Young reached first on Jesus Guzman's missed catch error scored Josh Collmenter with two out. On the play, Ryan Roberts advances to third. Runners on first and third with Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Padres 0, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 26 10:46 PM
- Aaron Hill doubled to left scored Paul Goldschmid with one out. Runner on second and Gerardo Parra due up.
Padres 0, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 26 10:45 PM
- Chris Young stole third and scored on Nick Hundley's throwing error. Runner on third with one out and Aaron Hill at the plate.
Padres 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 26 10:45 PM
- Chris Young singled to left scored Justin Upton with one out. Runner on first and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Padres 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 26 10:44 PM
- Ryan Roberts struck out swinging. On the play, Willie Bloomquist scores on Nick Hundley's throwing error. None on with one out and Justin Upton due up.
Padres 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 26 10:44 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 26 10:39 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21