Diamondbacks win eighth straight, top RockiesAug 31, 2011 - 5:53 AM
Gerardo Parra had four hits, scored three runs and drove in two, while Aaron Hill went 3-for-4 with an RBI for NL West-leading Arizona, which has won 11 in a row at home to tie a franchise record. The second-place Giants lost to the Cubs on Tuesday, giving the D-Backs a six-game lead in the division.
"We have to stay [in first]. Something tells me we'll be tested. ... Hopefully we'll be prepared for that," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said.
Wade Miley (2-1), in his third career start, scattered nine hits and two runs over six innings to earn the victory.
Aaron Cook (3-8) was tagged for six runs on seven hits in 4 1/3 innings for the Rockies, losers in four of their last five, including the first two in this three-game series.
Colorado got a solo home run from Dexter Fowler and three hits apiece from Carlos Gonzalez, Todd Helton, Kevin Kouzmanoff and Chris Iannetta.
"This isn't the first time when we've had a night were we scored four runs but had 13 base hits. We had a lot of opportunities but we stranded a lot of runners," Colorado manager Jim Tracy said.
Helton hit an RBI single in the first inning, but Arizona took the lead for good in the third when Parra tripled past Fowler in center to drive in two, then scored on an Upton groundout.
Iannetta brought Colorado within 3-2 on a run-scoring base hit in the fourth.
That was as close as the visitors got. With runners on the corners in the fifth, Montero found the seats in right for his 13th home run of the year.
Hill and Kouzmanoff traded RBI singles in the sixth and eighth innings, respectively, and Upton made it 9-3 in the latter frame with a two-run blast, his 26th longball of the year.
Fowler's first round-tripper of the season in the ninth accounted for the final margin.
Arizona's starting pitchers have allowed just five earned runs in 54 innings (0.83 earned run average) during the winning streak...Montero's homer was his 44th extra-base hit this season, setting an Arizona record for catchers...Arizona also won 11 straight at home from May 5-27, 2000 and June 7-July 9, 2003.
- COLORADO: 4
Aug 31 12:40 AM
- Mark Ellis struck out looking. None on with one out and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 4, Diamondbacks 9 Top 9, 1 OutAug 31 12:37 AM
- Justin Upton none-out, two-run Home Run (26) to center scored Gerardo Parra. Miguel Montero due up.
Rockies 3, Diamondbacks 9 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 31 12:29 AM
- Kevin Kouzmanoff single to left scored Todd Helton with one out. Runner on first and Chris Iannetta due up.
Rockies 3, Diamondbacks 7 Top 8, 1 OutAug 31 12:16 AM
- Aaron Hill infield single to third scored Willie Bloomquist with two out. On the play, Justin Upton advances to second and Gerardo Parra advances to third. Bases loaded and Lyle Overbay due up.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 30 11:51 PM
- Miguel Montero one-out, three-run Home Run (13) to right scored Willie Bloomquist and Gerardo Parra. Aaron Hill due up.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 30 11:18 PM
- Chris Iannetta single to right scored Ty Wigginton with one out. On the play, Kevin Kouzmanoff advances to third. Runners on first and third and Aaron Cook due up.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 3 Top 4, 1 OutAug 30 10:45 PM
- Kevin Kouzmanoff singled to left. On the play, Ty Wigginton advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Chris Iannetta due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 3 Top 4, 1 OutAug 30 10:44 PM
- Gerardo Parra triple to center scored Sean Burroughs and Willie Bloomquist with one out. Runner on third and Justin Upton due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 30 10:35 PM
- Todd Helton single to left scored Dexter Fowler with two out. On the play, Carlos Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ty Wigginton due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 30 9:53 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 30 9:42 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21