D-Backs slither away with victory over RockiesSep 6, 2011 - 2:30 AM
Paul Goldschmidt drove in three runs while Justin Upton hit a solo homer and scored twice for the Diamondbacks, who have won three straight and 12 of their last 13.
With the win, Arizona maintained its seven-game lead over San Francisco for first place in the NL West as the Giants beat the Padres on Monday.
Wade Miley (3-1) won his third straight start as he was touched for just two runs on six hits with three walks and six strikeouts over seven innings.
"He pitched good for us out there again," said Arizona manager Kirk Gibson. "He always seems to struggle early, but then he finishes strong and gives us a chance to win."
Troy Tulowitzki hit a three-run home run in the ninth to make the game close, but it wasn't enough to keep the Rockies from losing for a fifth time in their past seven games.
Esmil Rogers (6-5) dropped his fourth decision in his past five starts as he gave up six runs on eight hits with five walks and two strikeouts over 5 1/3 innings.
Arizona carried a seven-run lead into the ninth, but Colorado didn't go quietly. With two outs, Dexter Fowler hit his second home run of the game. Mark Ellis and Carlos Gonzalez then each drew walks before Tulowitzki drilled a pitch over the wall in center to make it a three-run contest.
However, Bryan Shaw took over for Micah Owings, who had got the first two batters of the inning out before running into trouble, and struck out Kevin Kouzmanoff to end the game.
The two sides exchanged homers in the first inning as Upton hit his 27th of the year while Fowler led off the home half with his third blast.
Ellis hit a solo homer in the third to give Colorado a 2-1 lead, but Blum hit a two-run single in the fourth that scored Goldschmidt and Aaron Hill for a 3-2 advantage.
A five-run sixth inning solidified the lead for the Diamondbacks. Blum led off the frame with his second homer of the year. Later in the frame with two on and Josh Roenicke on the mound, Willie Bloomquist scored one with a single to center. After a fielder's choice groundout from Gerardon Parra and a hit-by- pitch to Upton that loaded the bases, Goldschmidt hit a bases-clearing double that saw him tagged out trying to reach third, but not before making it an 8-2 game.
Miley helped his cause with an RBI fielder's choice in the seventh while Kouzmanoff drove home one in the eighth for Colorado.
Collin Cowgill's RBI single in the ninth extended the lead to 10-3.
"He's very deceptive and I though so too," Colorado outfielder Ryan Spilborghs said of Miley.
Hill moved his hitting streak to eight games while Bloomquist extended his to seven...Arizona has won 12 of the 16 games with Colorado this season.
- ARIZONA: 10
Sep 5 6:18 PM
- Bryan Shaw enters the game for the Diamondbacks with none on and two out.
Diamondbacks 10, Rockies 7 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 5 6:15 PM
- Dexter Fowler two-out, solo Home Run 2 (4) to right. Mark Ellis due up.
Diamondbacks 10, Rockies 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 5 6:06 PM
- Collin Cowgill single to right scored Aaron Hill. Runner on first with one out and Henry Blanco due up.
Diamondbacks 10, Rockies 3 Top 9, 1 OutSep 5 5:57 PM
- Kevin Kouzmanoff single to left scored Carlos Gonzalez. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Ty Wigginton due up.
Diamondbacks 9, Rockies 3 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 5 5:46 PM
- Willie Bloomquist flied out to center to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 9, Rockies 2 Mid 7Sep 5 5:25 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt double to left scored Wade Miley, Gerardo Parra and Justin Upton. On the play, Paul Goldschmidt thrown out at third to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 8, Rockies 2 Mid 6Sep 5 5:06 PM
- Willie Bloomquist single to right scored Collin Cowgill. On the play, Wade Miley advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Gerardo Parra due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Rockies 2 Top 6, 1 OutSep 5 5:02 PM
- Geoff Blum lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Collin Cowgill due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Rockies 2 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 5 4:50 PM
- Geoff Blum single to left scored Paul Goldschmidt and Aaron Hill. Runner on first with none out and Collin Cowgill due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 2 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 5 4:07 PM
- Mark Ellis lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Rockies 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 5 3:56 PM
- Dexter Fowler lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Mark Ellis due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 5 3:19 PM
- Justin Upton two-out, solo Home Run (27) to right. Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 5 3:15 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 5 3:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21