Braun comes through in pinch, lifts Brewers over MarlinsJun 4, 2011 - 4:16 AM
Florida closer Leo Nunez (0-2) came on to protect a one-run lead and gave up a leadoff single to Yuniesky Betancourt. Braun, batting for Milwaukee reliever Mike McClendon (3-0), followed by launching a 1-1 pitch to the seats beyond the left field wall.
"Probably the first time ever in my career I got an at-bat without swinging at all: no batting practice, no flips in the cages, no tee, no nothing," said Braun, who was battling a sore shoulder.
John Axford walked the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth, but struck out pinch-hitter Brett Hayes to earn his 14th save of the season.
Prince Fielder also belted a two-run homer for Milwaukee, which has won four of its last six games. Brewers starter Randy Wolf gave up four runs on five hits in five innings.
Gaby Sanchez and Mike Stanton both hit solo home runs for the Marlins, who have dropped four of five. Florida's Ricky Nolasco yielded four runs on seven hits and fanned six over a six-inning start.
"It's a long season. We're going to go through grinds," Nolasco said.
The Brewers struck first in the opening frame, as Fielder followed a two-out single by Corey Hart with a blast to the right field seats. Milwaukee extended its lead to 4-1 on a Casey McGehee sacrifice fly and run-scoring by Mark Kotsay in the third.
Florida, however, pulled even with a three-spot in the fourth. Like Sanchez did in the second, Stanton led off the inning with a home run. Wes Helms hit a one-out single and came around to score on Emilio Bonifacio's triple to center. Two batters later, Chris Coghlan tied the game with a sac fly.
The Marlins moved ahead against Sergio Mitre in the sixth. Mitre, who relieved Wolf, gave up an leadoff double to John Buck. After the next two batters grounded out, pinch-hitter Greg Dobbs put the home team up 5-4 with a single to right.
Nunez blew his second save of the year...Florida batted 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position...Hart collected three hits.
- MILWAUKEE: 6
Jun 3 10:27 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Ryan Braun none-out, two-run Home Run (13) to left scored Yuniesky Betancourt. Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 6, Marlins 5 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 3 10:05 PM
- Chris Coghlan singled to center. On the play, Greg Dobbs advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Omar Infante due up.
Brewers 4, Marlins 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 3 9:17 PM
- Omar Infante fouled out to first to end the inning.
Brewers 4, Marlins 4 End 4Jun 3 8:46 PM
- Emilio Bonifacio tripled to center scored Wes Helms.. Runner on third with one out and Ricky Nolasco due up.
Brewers 4, Marlins 3 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 3 8:40 PM
- Mike Stanton lead-off Home Run (13) to left. John Buck due up.
Brewers 4, Marlins 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 3 8:31 PM
- Mark Kotsay singled to left scored Corey Hart. On the play, Prince Fielder advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Brewers 4, Marlins 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 3 8:06 PM
- Casey McGehee sacrifice fly out to center scored Nyjer Morgan. On the play, Corey Hart advances to third. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Mark Kotsay due up.
Brewers 3, Marlins 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 3 8:05 PM
- Mike Stanton walked. Runner on first with none out and John Buck due up.
Brewers 2, Marlins 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 3 7:41 PM
- Prince Fielder two-out, two-run Home Run (12) to right scored Corey Hart. Casey McGehee due up.
Brewers 2, Marlins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 3 7:18 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 3 7:12 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21