Fielder's clutch hit helps Brewers edge TwinsJun 25, 2011 - 3:41 AM
Ryan Braun hit a ground-rule, RBI double in the fifth to extend his hitting streak to a career-high 15 games while Corey Hart also had an RBI double for the Brewers, who came into the game having lost five of seven.
"It was a good win to get here tonight," said Fielder. "It's exciting to win a game like that, especially when I can help contribute to it."
Randy Wolf (6-4) went seven innings to get the win as he was charged with three runs on six hits with three walks and five strikeouts. He has not lost a game over his past seven starts and is 3-0 during that time.
Danny Valencia hit a three-run home run as the Twins dropped their third straight game following eight consecutive victories. Scott Baker (5-5) had a three-start winning streak snapped as he was tagged for all four runs on eight hits with four walks and four strikeouts over 6 2/3 innings.
The Twins trailed 2-0 in the sixth, but went ahead in the frame. With one out, Michael Cuddyer walked and Delmon Young followed with a single. Valencia then launched his eighth homer of the year, a shot to left for a 3-2 lead.
The Brewers, though, went ahead for good in the seventh. With one out, Rickie Weeks singled and Nyjer Morgan followed with a bunt single. After Braun popped out, Jose Mijares took the mound, but Fielder roped a double to right to put the Brewers up, 4-3.
"It's a very disappointing loss for our club," said Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire. "He threw a terrible pitch to Fielder and when that happens he'll beat you. The most disappointing thing is we threw him six straight fastballs."
Kameron Loe set the Twins down in order in the eighth while John Axford did the same in the ninth for his 20th save of the season.
The game was scoreless until the fourth when Hart singled home Fielder, who drew a one-out walk and moved to second on a Casey McGehee single.
The fifth inning saw Milwaukee plate another run when Braun doubled home Wolf.
Wolf went 2-for-2 with a run scored in the game and raised his batting average to .214 on the season...Milwaukee took four of six from Minnesota last season...Baker fell to 4-4 over eight games against the Brewers...Wolf moved to 1-1 in two starts against the Twins...After the game, Minnesota announced that it optioned outfielder Rene Tosoni to Rochester and that designated hitter Jim Thome will be activated from the disabled list on Saturday.
- MINNESOTA: 3
Jun 24 10:39 PM
- Prince Fielder double to right scored Rickie Weeks and Nyjer Morgan with two out. Runner on second and Casey McGehee due up.
Twins 3, Brewers 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 24 10:15 PM
- Luke Hughes grounded out pitcher to first. None on with two outs and Tsuyoshi Nishioka due up.
Twins 3, Brewers 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 24 9:46 PM
- Ryan Braun ground-rule-double to right scored Randy Wolf with two out. On the play, Rickie Weeks advances to third. Runners on second and third and Prince Fielder due up.
Twins 0, Brewers 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 24 9:35 PM
- Corey Hart double to right scored Prince Fielder with one out. On the play, Casey McGehee advances to third. Runners on second and third and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Twins 0, Brewers 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 24 9:19 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 24 8:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22