Stubbs' home run in extras lifts Reds over BrewersApr 28, 2011 - 7:26 AM
Stubbs went 2-for-5 with three runs scored for the Reds, who went 3-3 on a six-game road trip. Joey Votto hit a three-run homer and drove in four runs.
Sam LeCure went 4 1/3 innings in the start, allowing four runs -- three earned -- on six hits. Aroldis Chapman (2-0) tossed 1 2/3 scoreless innings to pick up the win.
Carlos Gomez had two RBI for the Brewers, who went 3-3 on a six-game homestand. Yovani Gallardo gave up six runs on 10 hits over five-plus frames.
"I feel more concerned today because he didn't have good stuff," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said of Gallardo.
With the score tied at 6-6, Stubbs hit a homer off Sergio Mitre (0-1). The ball cleared the wall in center for a 7-6 edge.
"I knew it was gone as soon as I hit it," Stubbs said.
Francisco Cordero tossed a perfect home 10th for his fourth save.
The Reds scored four times in the first inning. Stubbs and Jay Bruce hit consecutive singles before Votto brought them both home with a homer to center. Jonny Gomes walked and Miguel Cairo singled later in the frame to put men on the corners with one out. Paul Janish plated Gomes with a sacrifice fly for a 4-0 lead.
Milwaukee cut its deficit in half with a two-run third. Jonathan Lucroy singled and Rickie Weeks doubled to put men on second and third with two outs. Gomez brought home both runners with a base hit to right.
The Brewers tacked on a run in the fourth to make it 4-3. With the bases loaded and one out, Lucroy grounded into a fielder's choice to plate a run.
Milwaukee got another run in the fifth to tie the game. Bill Bray took over for LeCure with runners on first and second and one out. Prince Fielder then grounded into a fielder's choice. On the play, Weeks scored on shortstop Edgar Renteria's throwing error.
The game was tied at 6-6 after both teams scored twice in the sixth. Votto and Brandon Phillips hit RBI singles for the Reds. Pinch-hitter Mark Kotsay had an RBI single and Weeks added a sac fly for the Brewers.
Milwaukee wasted a golden opportunity in the eighth, loading the bases with one out. Chapman retired Gomez and Ryan Braun to end the threat.
Braun had an 11-game hitting streak snapped, but he has reached base safely in each of the team's first 24 games (5th inning HBP). That is the longest streak in franchise history to begin a season, breaking Robin Yount's streak of 23 games in 1983...Milwaukee's Casey McGehee had an 11-game hitting streak snapped...Votto has reached base safely in all 25 Reds games in 2011...The Brewers' last series victory over the Reds was May 29-31, 2009, when they posted a three-game sweep in the Badger State.
- CINCINNATI: 7
Apr 27 5:03 PM
- Drew Stubbs one-out, solo Home Run (5) to center. Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 7, Brewers 6 Top 10, 1 OutApr 27 4:48 PM
- Rickie Weeks sacrifice fly to left scored Jonathan Lucroy with two out. Runner on first and Carlos Gomez due up.
Reds 6, Brewers 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 27 3:40 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mark Kotsay singled to right scoring Yuniesky Betancourt with one out. Runners on first and second and Rickie Weeks due up.
Reds 6, Brewers 5 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 27 3:36 PM
- Brandon Phillips singled to center scoring Drew Stubbs with one out. Runners on first and second and Jonny Gomes due up.
Reds 6, Brewers 4 Top 6, 1 OutApr 27 3:18 PM
- Joey Votto singled to right scoring Edgar Renteria with one out. Runners on first and third and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 5, Brewers 4 Top 6, 1 OutApr 27 3:12 PM
- Prince Fielder grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short. On the play, Edgar Renteria's throwing error scored Rickie Weeks with two out . Runner on first and Casey McGehee due up.
Reds 4, Brewers 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 27 3:01 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Prince Fielder with two out. Runners on first and third and Yovani Gallardo due up.
Reds 4, Brewers 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 27 2:30 PM
- Carlos Gomez singled to right scoring Yovani Gallardo and Rickie Weeks with two out. Runner on first and Ryan Braun due up.
Reds 4, Brewers 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 27 2:04 PM
- Paul Janish sacrifice fly to right scored Jonny Gomes. Runner on first with two outs and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Reds 4, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 27 1:22 PM
- Brandon Phillips grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Jonny Gomes due up.
Reds 3, Brewers 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 27 1:16 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 27 1:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21