Kotsay lifts Brewers over RedsJul 9, 2011 - 6:06 AM
Kotsay put the Reds in front with a solo home run in the sixth, but his error in the next-half inning helped the Reds push three across for a 7-5 lead.
Francisco Cordero (3-2) couldn't hold the two-run cushion in the ninth, with the first damage coming on an RBI triple by Nyjer Morgan, who recorded the second out of the inning in collision at home plate.
Cordero then walked Prince Fielder and gave up an infield single to Casey McGehee to load the bases. Kotsay, down to his last strike, placed a humpback liner to right, and pinch-runner Carlos Gomez raced around from second and slid in head-first at home to finish off the comeback.
"You need a bazooka to throw [Gomez] out on that ball, that's why they put him out there," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "It seems like they can find a way to get that two-out hit."
Rickie Weeks recorded an inside-the-park home run and added an RBI double for the Brewers, who have won three straight on the heels of a 1-7 stretch.
"We really played a good ballgame. Even if the outcome was different I thought we played well," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said.
Joey Votto and Jay Bruce each homered for the Reds, who have lost four of five overall.
Cincinnati blew a four-run lead and trailed 5-4 after Kotsay's second homer of the season. But in the seventh, Kotsay misplayed Votto's ball down the left- field line, allowing Zack Cozart to score and advancing Votto to third.
Brandon Phillips plated Votto with a sacrifice fly, and Bruce followed with his 20th home run of the season for a 7-5 lead.
Marco Estrada (2-5) pitched a 1-2-3 ninth to earn the win in relief.
Brewers starter Zack Greinke got off to a rough start, yielding two runs in the first inning on Votto's solo blast to left-center and Bruce's RBI single.
The Reds doubled their lead in the third when Scott Rolen hit one off Mat Gamel's glove in third to score Drew Stubbs and Edgar Renteria.
Weeks got the Brewers on the board via his second career inside-the-parker in the bottom of the third. The All-Star second baseman, who will be in this year's Home Run Derby, smoked a ball high off the angled wall in center that caromed back towards left field. Weeks never stopped running, and by the time the relay throw reached the infield he was already crossing home plate.
Milwaukee tied things in the fifth. Weeks plated Greinke all the way from first with a gapper to right, then scored on Morgan's base hit. Morgan later moved to third on Corey Hart's single and trotted home on Fielder's sac fly to right.
Weeks' homer was Milwaukee's third inside-the-parker this season...Kotsay was filling in for injured left fielder Ryan Braun, who missed a sixth straight game with a strained left calf...Neither starter factored in the decision. Greinke was touched for four runs -- two earned -- on seven hits over six frames, while Mike Leake lasted just 5 1/3 innings and allowed five runs on seven hits...Greinke fanned 10 for the 15th double-digit strikeout game of his career...Stubbs had three hits for the Reds...Hart went 3-for-5...The Brewers are 20-13 in one-run games this year, a mirror image of the Reds' 13-20 mark.
- CINCINNATI: 7
Jul 8 11:28 PM
- Mark Kotsay singled to right scoring Corey Hart and Carlos Gomez with two out to end the game.
Reds 7, Brewers 8 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 8 11:27 PM
- Nyjer Morgan tripled to right scoring George Kottaras. Runner on third with one out and Corey Hart due up.
Reds 7, Brewers 6 Bot 9, 1 OutJul 8 11:16 PM
- Jay Bruce two-out, solo Home Run (20) to right. Scott Rolen is due up.
Reds 7, Brewers 5 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 8 10:22 PM
- Brandon Phillips' sacrifice fly to right scored Joey Votto. None on with two outs and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 6, Brewers 5 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 8 10:21 PM
- Mark Kotsay lead-off Home Run (2) to left-center. Yuniesky Betancourt is due up.
Reds 4, Brewers 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 8 9:57 PM
- Prince Fielder sacrifice fly to right scored Nyjer Morgan. Runner on first with two outs and Mat Gamel due up.
Reds 4, Brewers 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 8 9:42 PM
- Nyjer Morgan singled off short to center scoring Rickie Weeks. Runner on second with one out as Morgan advanced on the throw to home and Corey Hart due up.
Reds 4, Brewers 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 8 9:40 PM
- Rickie Weeks doubled to right-center scoring Zack Greinke. Runner on second with one out and Nyjer Morgan due up.
Reds 4, Brewers 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 8 9:36 PM
- Rickie Weeks two-out, solo inside-the-park Home Run (17) to center. Nyjer Morgan is due up.
Reds 4, Brewers 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 8 9:06 PM
- Scott Rolen singled off third to left scoring Drew Stubbs and Edgar Renteria. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Chris Heisey due up.
Reds 4, Brewers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 8 8:58 PM
- Jay Bruce singled to right scoring Brandon Phillips. Runner on first with two outs and Scott Rolen due up.
Reds 2, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 8 8:17 PM
- Brandon Phillips doubled to right. Runner on second with two outs and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 8 8:16 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 8 8:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21